Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download El Capitan dmg via PC

My Mac is stuck on Internet recovery after I performed a disk erase. I want to do a clean install of the OS, so I need to get hold of the El Capitan dmg. I only have access to a PC, so I need to log in to the Apple app store from my PC to download the dmg and write it to a USB stick.

How do I sign in to the Apple app store from my PC? How do I get hold of this dmg?

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Nov 4, 2016 1:33 AM

8 replies

Nov 4, 2016 4:15 AM in response to Xio512

FWIW, the full El Capitan installer was never on a .dmg and to sign into the App Store you need to be running the App Store app which you don't have on a PC. El Capitan is no longer available in the App Store unless you downloaded it previously. It sounds like you need to make an appointment at a local Apple Store or AASP.

Nov 4, 2016 7:01 PM in response to Xio512

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your prompt replies. When I start up the computer, Internet Recovery shows with the timer at 24:00. Nothing changes and there is no evidence of any progress.

I went to a Mac reseller this morning and they said they'd charge $74.50 to reinstall the OS. Seriously? Would an Apple store charge for this? Seems a bit harsh...just for an OS installation.

Cheers

Download El Capitan dmg via PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.