Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SyncServices Folder

Does anyone know why the syncservices folder grows to over 2 gigs? I would think that it would only have to be a few 100 megs but always when I look at it its over 2 gigs. Thanks

MBP 2.0gHz 2gigRam, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Dec 16, 2006 1:15 AM

6 replies

Dec 16, 2006 11:15 AM in response to John Bonnes

Depending upon the frequency with which you synchronize data to .Mac, and the count of synchronization categories involved, it may be that your DotMacTranslator.x.log files may be the culprit. I have nine at the moment—only one of which is current—buried in the DMTLogging folder, here:

Macintosh HD:Users:<username>:Library:Application Support:SyncServices:Local:Compat:DMTLogging

That folder, and those nine files, account for 9.6 megabytes of the 34.2 megabyte total size of my SyncServices folder. The clientdata folder is 17.2 megabytes, accounting for a little more than half the total. That clientdata folder contains data that you cannot arbitrarily remove, as it is critical to maintaining data integrity. The older log files, I believe, can be safely deleted from the DMTLogging folder.

Isolating the issue to one or more folders will help you determine a strategy to reduce the 'bloat' associated with this process.

As a general rule—particularly if you are not thoroughly familiar with the processes involved—you should do little if anything with the SyncServices folder, as the slightest change in its contents can cause catastrophic difficulties with the framework, and result in the loss of data across all of your associated applications, devices and servers. That's why, in rather simplistic terms, Apple warns users to stay away from it.

Dec 16, 2006 1:04 PM in response to John Bonnes

Did someone once instruct you to change the default logging options for the framework using terminal commands? I do not believe that a user should be seeing a save.isyncplayback log: it's part of a non-standard, verbose logging function not normally enabled.

I don't have it enabled in my configuration, and would not unless I has a serious synchronization issue that I intended to package up and submit to Apple. How did yours get enabled - any idea at all?

You can probably put a halt to this activity by entering this information in the Terminal after first quitting all sync-aware applications, including the Address Book and iCal:

defaults delete -g SyncServicesLogEverything
defaults delete com.apple.syncserver SaveSyncServicesDirectory
rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/SyncServices/Local/save.isyncplayback

Then log out, and log back in.

First, however, seriously considered how these options might have become enabled, and consult with whomever facilitated that activity before turning them off.

SyncServices Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.