Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the life expectancy of the MBP's PCIeSSD

How long is the PCIe SSD expected to last in a MBP ?

How many TB writes?

Does OS-X monitor the TB writes to the SSD on a MBP ?

What is the warranty on the PCIe SSD ?

Posted on Nov 4, 2016 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2016 1:04 PM

Hi,

There is no life expectancy listed anywhere for the SSD. But for a comparison, Samsung offers a five year warranty on its higher end models. Most products last well beyond their warranty period, so I think it's safe to say the SSD will last about as long as the MBP does. Note that it also has TRIM support, so that helps.

The warranty period is the same as the MBP's hardware, one year, unless the AppleCare Protection Plan is purchased within the first year, then it will extend the warranty by two years, for a total of three years warranty.

To my knowledge, OS X does not monitor TBs written to the SSD. I wonder if there is a third party app written for that.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2016 1:04 PM in response to alex7375

Hi,

There is no life expectancy listed anywhere for the SSD. But for a comparison, Samsung offers a five year warranty on its higher end models. Most products last well beyond their warranty period, so I think it's safe to say the SSD will last about as long as the MBP does. Note that it also has TRIM support, so that helps.

The warranty period is the same as the MBP's hardware, one year, unless the AppleCare Protection Plan is purchased within the first year, then it will extend the warranty by two years, for a total of three years warranty.

To my knowledge, OS X does not monitor TBs written to the SSD. I wonder if there is a third party app written for that.

Nov 5, 2016 11:11 AM in response to tjk

Yes, I found this Samsung 950 SSD Chart for comparison.

It appears that the some older budget 3.5" SSD are not very good some failing at 100tb.

So I guess you get what you pay for in most cases.

Most users will only write about 5gb. per day.

Samsung offers a 5 year warranty or 200tb on the 950-series.

At 200tb divided by 5gb per day = 40000 divided by 365 days = 109 years

Most SSD's even the New Budget 3.5 6gb. SSD can achieve and surpass 200tb.

So I would assume it is safe to say that not to worry about the PCIe SSD going bad

in the Mac as it will most likely surpass the life of the computer in most cases for the average user.

TB writes appears to double with larger capacity SSD's.

So an SSD with 500gb. should last twice as long as an SSD with 256gb.

User uploaded file

What is the life expectancy of the MBP's PCIeSSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.