Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot type in spotlight since upgrade to 10.12.1

Keyboard works fine everywhere except on the spotlight window. I can call it up just fine with Command+Space but then I can't type anything in it. The problem is not the indexing, I can search just fine using search in Finder. The problem is that the keyboard just won't type in the spotlight window.

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Nov 4, 2016 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2017 1:23 PM

Same issue here on a 2016 MBP. Happens intermittently and is resolved with a

killall Spotlight
. When the issue presents itself, all keyboard input is ignored by the Spotlight UI except CMD-space which will close Spotlight correctly as expected.

33 replies

Nov 5, 2016 1:37 PM in response to edshred

Hi edshred,

If I understand your post correctly, when you use Command + Space you get the Spotlight Search bar but you're unable to type in it and you're able to type normally everywhere else. I'll be happy to help you with this.

First, let's test out where this happens. Go into safe mode and see if this happens there:

Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up

If it also happens in safe mode, try testing the issue in another user:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Have a great day.

Dec 2, 2016 9:28 AM in response to edshred

So I had this problem as well and I was going to try the steps listed above. Then I suddenly did something and the problem was fixed. Click normally on your desktop once, click on the spotlight icon in your tray, hit backspace/delete, click on the spotlight icon again, hit backspace twice more. See if you can type into spotlight now.

Cannot type in spotlight since upgrade to 10.12.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.