Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An error occurred while copying files. The problem may be temporary. If the problem persists, use Disk Utility to repair your backup disk.

Time machine back up goes to preparing backup which takes long and then sometimes backing up to a certain point then stops with message below. Was working fine until a few days ago.

Any solutions would help.

Error message: An error occurred while copying files. The problem may be temporary. If the problem persists, use Disk Utility to repair your backup disk.

MacBook Pro Retina with MacOS Sierra

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Nov 4, 2016 4:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2017 4:27 PM

I was able to figure this out by digging around in the console after getting the same error. This is how I solved my specific problem:

1. Open Console (Spotlight Search can quickly open this)

2. Click your computer under devices. Typically says "NameMacbookPro"

3. In the search bar type "backupd" without the quotes

4. Run TM backup and let the error occur

5. In Console, look for the an error that looks something like this: Error: (-8062) SrcErr:NO Copying /Users/NAME/Library...

this is the corrupt file that caused my TM error.

6. Locate the file in the location given in console and either delete or backup separately (drag and drop somewhere).

7. Re-run TM and the it should complete the backup

In my case, these steps worked. I hope this helps you.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2017 4:27 PM in response to lucille j

I was able to figure this out by digging around in the console after getting the same error. This is how I solved my specific problem:

1. Open Console (Spotlight Search can quickly open this)

2. Click your computer under devices. Typically says "NameMacbookPro"

3. In the search bar type "backupd" without the quotes

4. Run TM backup and let the error occur

5. In Console, look for the an error that looks something like this: Error: (-8062) SrcErr:NO Copying /Users/NAME/Library...

this is the corrupt file that caused my TM error.

6. Locate the file in the location given in console and either delete or backup separately (drag and drop somewhere).

7. Re-run TM and the it should complete the backup

In my case, these steps worked. I hope this helps you.

Jan 17, 2017 6:20 PM in response to tyson279

If you do not find the error message using tyson279 procedure, here are two minor variants that may produce more output.

1) search for "backup" rather than backupd. This may show a few more messages.

2) after step 4, select the first console message of the start of that Backup. Then delete the search string so that you can see ALL messages from that point, and look again (starting at the line you selected) for that error message.

Nov 6, 2016 8:00 AM in response to lucille j

If you can back up another Mac to the Time capsule, that means the problem is on your Mac, not the backup device.

You can run Disk Utility Repair/First Aid on your Mac's drive to check for Directory problems.

As it says in James Pond's article, the problem is often limited to One single file that is being difficult.

..and when you follow the recommended procedure in James Pond's article, what error messages are you seeing in Console when you attempt to copy from your Mac to the Backup drive?

An error occurred while copying files. The problem may be temporary. If the problem persists, use Disk Utility to repair your backup disk.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.