Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Electromagnetic Interference of WiFi signal

This just blew my mind: I live on the top floor of an condo where the elevator room containing the large and powerful elevator motor is a few feet away, up one floor and thru a concrete slab and walls. I can hear the hum of the motor when its working and I have realized that every time someone calls the elevator, the WiFi I get on my 2012 13" Macbook Pro running OS 10.11.6 momentarily ceases!!! It also does this if I'm streaming music over the web onto my ipad!! It happens again if a person enters the cab and has the elevator take them down or wherever they want to go. But its not like I lose the second or so of streaming signal, its like I stopped the tape and restarted it because it continues to stream where it left off!!! Very strange!!

There is not the slightest dimming of my lights to make me think the wifi hub suffered so all I can think that might be happening is that the motor blasts electromagnetic waves momentarily interrupting the wifi signal but I searched high and wide and found nothing to support my observations. Does anyone have any such experiences themselves??? Is there a workable remedy for this?? Thanks!!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 5, 2016 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2016 12:45 AM

I note your use of "lift" as a noun and not a verb suggesting your British origin....

Australian.. but I am old enough to belong to the British Empire.

I get VDSL from the local phone provider and this is my only option at this location.

I guessed right.

If the EM blast comes from the motor, what difference does the proximity of the electrical wires to the signal wires have?

EM is transmitted over electrical cables and particularly switch gear. The motor itself may produce nothing at all. It depends on the motor design they used. I would not be over worried about the actual source but the very fact that the problem occurs and is very difficult to fix.

The problem is due to VDSL is transmitted over balanced pair cabling of low grade.. ie phone wires. If this was shielded cat 5 you would have a lot less problems.

Perhaps a thick layer of lead around the motor might be the solution...

Plate steel is far more effective.. but lots of it.

But getting the building management to replace the low grade phone wiring with high grade shielded ethernet.. and if at all possible move the modem to the basement wiring rack.. or just somewhere else in the building. If you are adjacent to the lift (elevator) controls then your going to find it very hard to block.

There is a very simple tester.. a cheap AM transistor radio.. tuned to almost anywhere in the broadcast band.. off station.. and listen to the static. If the static comes in bursts.. every time the lift goes.. then your vdsl will basically slow or stop working.

A good router will also include a spectrum bit loading graph or at least the values.

I had a quick search and found this.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=12385.0

http://www.abload.de/img/bitloading-2013-03-04ilaba.png

To find out how you are affected by the Elevator noise.. the bit-loading graphs need to be saved in real time.. and you should also then be able to pick the main freq of the noise and harmonics. Tones along the bottom of the graph are standard bin numbers.. each tone covering 4khz.. so the actual frequency of VDSL2 goes up to 30mhz.

Here is an excellent set of power point slides showing more technical details of vdsl and the impact of impulse noise.

CSIRO is our science department of govn.

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/atzioumi/jdsu/xDSL%20Overview%20Oct%2008.ppt

The theory for this has been around for ages but the actual usage is mostly located in UK where they went to Fibre to the Node system instead of fibre all the way to the premises (FTTP) which is what US companies like google are doing.. We are also stupidly doing FTTN here in Australia.. but it is also popular in big buildings where it is called fibre to the basement. FTTB. It means they can run a single fibre connection into the building and share it over the old phone infrastructure.

It is highly susceptible to noise. Which means you probably need to tailor your listening to downloading the music to a local iTunes or music server and distribute it locally.. the RF noise will not affect ethernet or wifi which are microwave. Don't stream from online source as your internet connection will come and go with every warm body going up and down the elevator.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2016 12:45 AM in response to Nicholas Loisos

I note your use of "lift" as a noun and not a verb suggesting your British origin....

Australian.. but I am old enough to belong to the British Empire.

I get VDSL from the local phone provider and this is my only option at this location.

I guessed right.

If the EM blast comes from the motor, what difference does the proximity of the electrical wires to the signal wires have?

EM is transmitted over electrical cables and particularly switch gear. The motor itself may produce nothing at all. It depends on the motor design they used. I would not be over worried about the actual source but the very fact that the problem occurs and is very difficult to fix.

The problem is due to VDSL is transmitted over balanced pair cabling of low grade.. ie phone wires. If this was shielded cat 5 you would have a lot less problems.

Perhaps a thick layer of lead around the motor might be the solution...

Plate steel is far more effective.. but lots of it.

But getting the building management to replace the low grade phone wiring with high grade shielded ethernet.. and if at all possible move the modem to the basement wiring rack.. or just somewhere else in the building. If you are adjacent to the lift (elevator) controls then your going to find it very hard to block.

There is a very simple tester.. a cheap AM transistor radio.. tuned to almost anywhere in the broadcast band.. off station.. and listen to the static. If the static comes in bursts.. every time the lift goes.. then your vdsl will basically slow or stop working.

A good router will also include a spectrum bit loading graph or at least the values.

I had a quick search and found this.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=12385.0

http://www.abload.de/img/bitloading-2013-03-04ilaba.png

To find out how you are affected by the Elevator noise.. the bit-loading graphs need to be saved in real time.. and you should also then be able to pick the main freq of the noise and harmonics. Tones along the bottom of the graph are standard bin numbers.. each tone covering 4khz.. so the actual frequency of VDSL2 goes up to 30mhz.

Here is an excellent set of power point slides showing more technical details of vdsl and the impact of impulse noise.

CSIRO is our science department of govn.

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/atzioumi/jdsu/xDSL%20Overview%20Oct%2008.ppt

The theory for this has been around for ages but the actual usage is mostly located in UK where they went to Fibre to the Node system instead of fibre all the way to the premises (FTTP) which is what US companies like google are doing.. We are also stupidly doing FTTN here in Australia.. but it is also popular in big buildings where it is called fibre to the basement. FTTB. It means they can run a single fibre connection into the building and share it over the old phone infrastructure.

It is highly susceptible to noise. Which means you probably need to tailor your listening to downloading the music to a local iTunes or music server and distribute it locally.. the RF noise will not affect ethernet or wifi which are microwave. Don't stream from online source as your internet connection will come and go with every warm body going up and down the elevator.

Nov 5, 2016 9:33 AM in response to Nicholas Loisos

You might want to look over this support document from Apple:

Potential sources of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth interference - Apple Support

While elevator motors are not specifically mentioned, the info about power stations might confirm your suspicions:

Power sources

Certain external electrical sources like power lines, electrical railroad tracks, and power stations can cause interference.

So, you might want to ask the building management to check to make sure that the elevator power station is not exceeding the recommended levels for radiation.

You might also try plugging the AirPort router into a protected power supply to help shield it from voltage spikes on the electrical lines.....which may or may not be affecting the router.

Otherwise, about all that you can do is try each wireless channel manually, to see if one might work better than another. Unfortunately, this is a tedious process, with no guarantee that it will help. Start with the 2.4 GHz channels first, since most WiFi interference issues occur on that band.

Nov 5, 2016 1:57 PM in response to Nicholas Loisos

Let me suggest it is not affecting wifi but rather internet.

Generally power installs will not be transmitting RF in the microwave region.. that would be most unusual.

And dangerous if the power levels are high enough.

But it can absolutely bring ADSL or VDSL signals to a halt. Especially with modern inverter electronic controls.. they literally belch out RF at frequencies up to 2Mhz. And if the main cable ducts have power and data cabling near each other.. definitely shouldn't be touching.. then all manner of strange and wonderful things can happen.

Test by streaming from a local source not web.. if the lift then has no effect on your streaming you can be pretty sure the main internet connection is being affected.

Tell us exactly what your internet setup is.

Do you have ethernet to your apartment? Or is it personal Internet over phone or cable connection or building wifi??

Nov 5, 2016 11:35 PM in response to Nicholas Loisos

Thank you for your replies. The support docs from Apple which I consulted first, did not seem to provide any clarity regarding my specific problem, nor did other resources I looked up, which is why I referred the issue to this forum. As for my specific Internet feed situation, I get VDSL from the local phone provider and this is my only option at this location. I left my Airport Extreme at my last residence where my cable provider was my choice of provider. The modem they provide here, has an ethernet option for wired connection that I can (and have) used to change configurations/passwords etc.of the modem but do not normally connect to the web by cable as everything I have here is mobile. I ordered a Timecapsule to use instead of the modem/router combo provided by the phone provider as a possible workaround and to get the backup features for the MbPro. I have yet to try your suggestion to to stream local content, but your suggestion that the problem is not the wifi being interfered with but the internet signal coming thru the wires because of proximity to electrical wires that themselves interfere with the signal seems curious because the interruption occurs only with each successive energizing of the elevator motor. If the EM blast comes from the motor, what difference does the proximity of the electrical wires to the signal wires have? I don't see how I could trace the paths of the signal and power cables but they appear to come close together only at the wall outlet areas and they are not roughly 2 feet apart at that location. However, I think your initial comment might be the key, as already noted, I have VDSL provided here. Is there a remedy for this or is this my fate? Perhaps a thick layer of lead around the motor might be the solution.... 🙂 I note your use of "lift" as a noun and not a verb suggesting your British origin.... 🙂 Thanks again for your help.

Nov 6, 2016 1:13 AM in response to LaPastenague

Australian is British, no? Are you not still part of the Commonwealth?

Wow, impressive! Were you around for the transition from sail to propeller??? My dad was and I'm no spring flower either.... anymore. 😟

I have one question before delving into this deeper than I could have imagined, even though I expect that current conditions condemn me to suffer these constant though tolerable interruptions (barely) to video/audio streaming. If the source is wiring interference, which provides power constantly to some device around the house, why is the energizing of the elevator (lift) motor the cause of the interruption? Are you suggesting that the cabling to the motor is causing this as it passes by my unit somewhere in the walls? The correlation to the use of the motor is unmistakable and I am thinking of calling the phone company and complain about this and see what they say. Until a few days ago I had no clue what the cause was and lived with bad quality signaling.

You are right about the infrastructure being prehistoric, post war but pre-digital age. Everything around here is copper though I hear they are installing optical fiber to the end of the buildings that are then left to their own devices to handle signaling from that point on. I doubt it's reached my location as businesses get priority and we are residential. The street level switchgear is a sight to behold, a miracle that they function and might be better off in a museum.

Nov 6, 2016 2:53 AM in response to Nicholas Loisos

Australian is British, no?

No.. and don't let an Aussie hear you say it.. 😠

We would have joined in.. !!

https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/uk/guy-fawkes-day

Are you not still part of the Commonwealth?

Yes.. think Canada.. it provides a head of state.. so we don't have presidential elections.. quite a good thing.

I was around and remember being abandoned when Britain joined the EU. The joke is I lived the see the end of that experiment. They would have done better sticking to the Commonwealth.

Were you around for the transition from sail to propeller?

Not that old.. !!

Are you suggesting that the cabling to the motor is causing this as it passes by my unit somewhere in the walls?

Electrical noise travels over long distances via the electrical wiring.. and data cabling which running parallel to power receives noise by induction. The noise can be generated by the motor or switch gear or speed controllers. If it is an ancient system it can be loads of ancient rheostats.. whatever it is .. it is no problem at all to audio.. ie phone system.. which is what the wiring was for.. but it is a massive problem for data attempting to use ancient phone cabling.

Get the transistor radio and walk around the building.. keep the volume control in one position and go wherever the noise is loudest.. that is your source.

Nov 6, 2016 6:03 AM in response to Nicholas Loisos

I have yet to try your suggestion to to stream local content, but your suggestion that the problem is not the wifi being interfered with but the internet signal coming thru the wires because of proximity to electrical wires that themselves interfere with the signal seems curious because the interruption occurs only with each successive energizing of the elevator motor.

The motor is not drawing much current when the elevator is not active. As soon as the elevator begins to move, a good deal more electrical current is flowing. If the wiring and elevator motor are not shielded correctly, a good deal more radiation is being emitted when the elevator is active.

Streaming local content will quickly tell you whether the elevator is affecting the Internet connection or not. If you find that the problem continues when you try to stream local content, that pretty much narrows things down to interference that is affecting the wireless network in general....no matter whether an Internet connection exists or not.

Electromagnetic Interference of WiFi signal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.