Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade from 10.6.8 to 10.7

What steps do I follow to Upgrade my late 2009 iMac from 10.6.8 to 10.7. I need to have 10.7 to go to Sierra

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Late 2009 iMac 21.5"

Posted on Nov 5, 2016 12:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2016 12:57 PM

You would have to purchase v10.7 Lion from Apple > http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

They will send you an email notification with a redemption code you can use at the App Store to download and install Lion.

v10.7 Lion System Requirements

An Intel Core 2 Duo, i3, Core i5, Core i7 or Xeon processor

• Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
  • 7 GB free hard drive space
  • 2 GB RAM
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2016 12:57 PM in response to rstark1

You would have to purchase v10.7 Lion from Apple > http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

They will send you an email notification with a redemption code you can use at the App Store to download and install Lion.

v10.7 Lion System Requirements

An Intel Core 2 Duo, i3, Core i5, Core i7 or Xeon processor

• Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
  • 7 GB free hard drive space
  • 2 GB RAM

Nov 5, 2016 1:55 PM in response to rstark1

rstark1 wrote:

I need to have 10.7 to go to Sierra

Really? You can purchase Sierra in the App store from 10.6. You should also be able to erase & install to run Sierra. Make a backup first.

10.6 & 10.12 are so far apart I would not recommend simply upgrading - all your PowerPC apps that run on 10.6 won't work for example. You may just be making more work to clean up later.

Once 10.12 is installed you can manually copy the old user home folder over & get the OS to make a proper account using that data. just use a different user name during setup & then you can move the old data to the users folder later.

I'm not sure of the merits of purchasing an OS you will barely use at all.

Nov 5, 2016 2:03 PM in response to Drew Reece

You can purchase Sierra in the App store from 10.6.

No, they can’t. It isn’t possible to download Sierra from a system running Snow Leopard; in addition, both El Capitan and Sierra are free.

You should also be able to erase & install to run Sierra.

It isn’t possible to perform an Erase & Install straight from a Mac App Store download of any OS version; people would either need to create an installation thumbdrive or install it onto a blank volume.

(145845)

Upgrade from 10.6.8 to 10.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.