Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Sierra "blank PDF"

Hallo everyone,

I'm recently facing this type of issue that I never faced before updating to macOS Sierra and iOS 10.

These are my devices: MBP 15" Retina Early 2015 (macOS 10.12.1), iPhone 6 and iPad Pro (both iOS 10.1.1).

Some PDFs files on my MBP and iOS device shows blank thumbnails and when I open them with Preview, iBooks and/or PDF Expert v2.0.1 (iOS or macOS) they have completely blank pages. If I open them with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (latest version) they open smoothly and all content is visible.

The trouble shooting I made is the following, with no success:

• tried to enter safe-mode;
  • unistall and reinstall both Adobe Reader and PDF Expert;
  • check PDF properties (see next).

Regarding last point I've noticed that all files that are showed as thumbnails and that open smoothly, on Properties-Protection of Adobe Reader app, there's written: "can be opened: all versions of Acrobat" while the PDF I'm not able to open with any other program but Acrobat there's written: "can be opened: Acrobat 5.0 and later".

Does that mean that macOS and iOS Preview app doesn't support anymore "newer" types of PDFs?

Thanks in advance

PS: I'm Italian, sorry for my english. I hope to have been clear enough to explain the issue I'm facing to let you understand.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Nov 6, 2016 2:12 AM

32 replies

Jan 5, 2017 10:55 AM in response to rfasolato

AH HA!!!!

Apple may have heard us!! I just installed 10.12.3 Beta 2 and now it seems things are working again!

I was able to open existing encrypted docs AND a freshly scanned doc then also saved it to encrypted and re-open it all without issue!

So they either put features back into the new PDFKit or they put in the old PDFKit, I'm hoping it's the latter cause the new one needs to just DIAF...

Get to it!!!

May 7, 2017 6:06 PM in response to Marja E

I have exactly the same problem on 10.12.4. Blank thumbnails on pdfs opened in Preview. (Also blurry pdfs when using Preview on an external monitor with my MBPr, but that's another thread.) This makes it very difficult when I'm in conference with my clients and we're trying to navigate pdfs for discussion.

I have searched extensively on this issue, and have tried literally dozens of "fixes", up to and including reinstallation of the OS. No joy.

For now I'm left with using Adobe's Reader, which isn't a good fit with my work flow. But as Apple's Preview app isn't working, it's what I have to do.

I don't understand Apple's approach to software QA. These sorts of problems should be caught pre-release or fixed posthaste when discovered after release. Submitting bug reports seems as effective as putting a message in a bottle and tossing it into the sea.

Sorry for the rant. But one grows tired of the "one step forward, two steps backwards" that seems to characterize MacOS releases lately.

Nov 6, 2016 2:27 AM in response to rfasolato

Same problem...is there anyone can help us?

thanks

Anche il mio inglee non è il massimo, per cui ti volevo chiedere se il problema si presenta per tutti o solo per alcuni pdf. Nel mio caso, dopo l'aggiornamento a sierra, le anterprime sono bianche per tutti i pdf che provengono dallo scanner.

Ho chiesto informazioni in giro, ma nessuno mi ha saputo spiegare il motivo.

Nov 6, 2016 3:13 AM in response to lopolo259

Hi lopolo259, the problem I face is only on some PDFs as I mentioned in the OT and precisely on the bank statement of my Credit Card. Other PDFs are showed normally. Another test I made is sending those PDFs to my girlfriend iPad via mail and she had the same issue.

About your problem with the scanner I've read somewhere that some scanner have this problem if you scan in color or only b/w, don't remember the brand though.

Ciao lopolo259, il problema è solo su alcuni PDF e nello specifico negli estratti conto della mia carta di credito. Gli altri PDF vengono aperti e mostrati normalmente. Un altro test che ho fatto è inviare quei PDF all'iPad della mia ragazza via mail e pure li vengono visualizzati completamente bianchi,

Per il tuo problema con lo scanner ho letto da qualche parte che alcuni tipi di scanner hanno questo problema se scannerizzi a colori o in b/n, non ricordo la marca di tali scanner però.

Nov 7, 2016 4:32 AM in response to rfasolato

Hello!

I'm having exactly the same issue after upgraded to Sierra 10.12.1. Some of the PDF files got mysteriously "blank".

had a case of an email attachment that was readable at Iphone6, but not at my MAC.

to get worst, files seems to be corrupted, once get's "blank" can't open at other devices too. apparently 20% what I have is corrupted.

Nov 7, 2016 9:41 AM in response to rfasolato

I'm having the same problem after updating. A large % of my PDFs (both stored locally and new ones downloaded/accessed from DropBox) are showing up as blank white pages. If I view my dropbox files in the browser on their website, I can view them fine. It seems as though once I download them and try to use Preview, they show up as blank pages.

Nov 8, 2016 2:05 AM in response to rfasolato

Hi All,

I have the same issue after updating to Sierra.

Actually two related issues, one about the scanner, and the other about the produced PDF. Here the solutions I found, hoping Apple (and HP) will fix that shortly:

1. The Scanner tab disappeared from My HP driver (HP C5180) and HP's App (HP Easy Scan) does not seam to find my scanner. (Sierra updated to 10.12.1 and printer driver uninstalled and reinstalled, with no improvement)

Solution: connect directly to the HP printer's internal web server using a browser use the scan function on printer's web page. This produces a PDF, but that PDF appears as a blank page in Preview (and mail attachment, which uses the same PDF engine).

2. Some PDF (all ?) appear as blank page in Preview and Mail attachment

Solution 1: Use Firefox's internal PDF viewer. Open Firefox preferences, click on Application tab, and select Preview in Firefox in the Portable Document Format (PDF) option line. Then you can open any PDF using firefox and the content will appear, but with pretty poor qulity though. (See solution 2 below for better quality). For example, run the following command in a terminal:

$ open -a Firefox image1.pdf

Solution 2: Install the xpdf MacPort package. In my case, the only little problem was that one of the dependencies, openmotif, failed to install because it was itself depending on a dependency that needed to be reinstalled with another variant. Going to the point, the following sequence worked for me (assuming you have MacPorts installed and up to date):

$ sudo port install xorg-libXt +flat_namespace

$ sudo port install openmotif

$ sudo port install xpdf xpdf-tools

Then to view a PDF (with much better quality than firefox's internal viewer):

$ /opt/local/bin/xpdf image1.pdf

Hope it helps.

Olivier.

MacOS Sierra "blank PDF"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.