Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using an iPhone without a Wireless Service Plan

Hello,

There used to be an article on Apple's Support site, but now, when I try to go to it, it seems to be removed.

I am looking at purchasing a brand new iPhone 5S from Total Wireless. I would also, however, like to use the iPhone without a Wireless Plan and only with WiFi. Is there a way I can setup and use the iPhone without a plan?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Nov 6, 2016 9:34 AM

15 replies

Sep 10, 2017 4:33 PM in response to ImmaLurker

Since you are such a stickler for proper conduct, allow me to point

out that the sim does not need to be activated. If the iPhone is

locked to a particular wireless provider, the sim must be

from that wireless provider but it does not need to be associated

with an active account; if the iPhone is not locked to a wireless

provider, any appropriate sim will do.

Sep 10, 2017 4:16 PM in response to FelipeV

So you're saying a SIM, even one that's inactive on a carrier's network, will activate an iPhone? I know iPhones like an old 4 can but new iPhones like iPhone 7 Plus will not.

And why do you care that people want an iOS device larger than an iPod but not as large as an iPad, with many more features than an iPod? The money isn't coming out of your pocket. We don't care that you choose to throw away thousands of dollars on cellular service.

The question Russell450 had, and many others since then: "Is there a way I can setup and use the iPhone without a plan?".

The answer is "no", you need an activated SIM card to setup a new iPhone, but "yes" to using it without a plan. By using call/text apps over WiFi there's no need for cellular service unless wifi isn't readily available.

Nov 6, 2016 12:15 PM in response to Russell450

You will need a SIM card to activate the device with Apple. Once activated, there is no requirement to have any cellular service with the device nor do you need to leave the SIM in it to use it without cellular service. Just enable airplane mode and turn on wifi (best way to use it as an iPod Touch in terms of power optimization since you don't need the cellular radio powered on). You can still make VOIP calls with something like skype. Messaging would be limited to imessages between other Apple device users.

Nov 7, 2016 5:39 AM in response to Russell450

If the phone is unlocked you can use any SIM. You could even borrow someone else's for just long enough to activate your device as it won't do anything to their SIM. You just need a SIM in there for a few minutes to activate it.

Activation with Apple is completely independent and separate from anything to do with anyone's actual cellular service. It sets the phone up for use with the Apple iTunes and App stores and checks that the device is not activation locked to someone else's AppleID. It is the same process for non-cellular devices like an iPod Touch or wifi-only iPad. But with an iPhone the system requires that a SIM card be present in the device during activation.

Using an iPhone without a Wireless Service Plan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.