Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari doesn't open Google Maps

Does anyone know why Google search in iPhone Safari suddenly no longer opens the Google Maps app by default? It opens Google in a new Safari window and asks if I want to use the app. When selecting use the app, it takes me to the app store even though I already have the app. This was working fine up until a few weeks ago, not sure what changed.

iPhone 6, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Nov 6, 2016 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2017 8:04 PM

Try this simple trick...When you hit the 'Directions' from browser, it will redirect you to the page saying 'Open in Google App'. We usually hit the bottom right corner arrow to start the directions. Instead of that, hit the 'OPEN' button on the top right corner on the same page. It will be gone forever. It worked for me. Good luck!!

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2017 8:04 PM in response to mulmj2

Try this simple trick...When you hit the 'Directions' from browser, it will redirect you to the page saying 'Open in Google App'. We usually hit the bottom right corner arrow to start the directions. Instead of that, hit the 'OPEN' button on the top right corner on the same page. It will be gone forever. It worked for me. Good luck!!

Oct 2, 2017 8:05 PM in response to mulmj2

Apr 20, 2017 11:07 PM in response to TheJobDr

I personally figured out the problem (at least for my devise) yesterday.

Lets say I enter an address on Safari search and it comes up with a result usually presenting the destination on the map. I press the icon to go to that destination.

Now what I came up with, is that BEFORE pressing the "use the app" box, you have to press on the starting point and chose "my location".

If you do that and THEN press go to app, it WORKS FINE!

If you don't chose the starting point BEFORE pressing the "use my app" option, it says: unsupported link.

I hope that helps.

Apr 20, 2017 10:57 PM in response to jeremy_v

It's frustrating. I've been having the same ongoing problem. I've also read up and tried each of these steps, systematically and there is no change.

I don't want to be rude, but when it is suggested to 'delete and reset the entire device' as the only solution that seems to say "we don't know what is happening so scorch all your settings and data history and live with it"

IMO seems like a less than appropriate response to the many customers having the same problems with the iOS. Maybe someone knows of a better approach. How do lingering problems escalate to get more eyes looking into a fix.

I would appreciate knowing if there have been successful solutions which you can share. Thanks, R

Nov 3, 2017 8:10 PM in response to mulmj2

I realize this is an old thread, but since this support community is a repository of information for people looking for solutions in the future, I thought I'd post a solution here anyway. I'm currently using an iPhone 6, running iOS 11.1. If you're using a different iOS device and/or a different version of iOS, your mileage may vary.

Here's the solution I found: when you send directions from the desktop version of Google Maps to your iPhone, don't simply press "View in Google Maps" in the email. Instead, LONG PRESS (press and hold) "View in Google Maps." A new window will open, where you can choose whether to Open in Safari, or Open in "Google Maps." Choose Open in "Google Maps."

I hope this helps.

Nov 7, 2016 1:36 PM in response to mulmj2

Hi there, mulmj2!

Thanks for reaching out via the Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, I understand that the Google Maps app isn't automatically initiated when you search for directions in the Safari app; you're given an option to open in the app, but when you tap to do so, you're brought to the App Store as if you don't have the Google Maps app already installed. I'd be happy to help!

First, try restarting your iPhone as described here: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

After the iPhone is back on, try to open the Google Maps app through a Safari search again. If it still will not automatically load the app, make sure the Google Maps app is up to date. You can check for updates by opening the App Store app, then clicking on Updates in the lower right corner.

If Google Maps is up to date and still not opening as expected, try uninstalling it by tapping and holding the app until all apps jiggle, then tap the "x" on the app. You can then re-download the app following the instructions here: Download your past purchases

Have a great day!

Nov 8, 2016 6:34 AM in response to jeremy_v

I tried all of these steps before posting here and they did not work. The only thing that worked was completely erasing all of my settings, but that was more trouble because I have a lot of personalized settings on the phone so I ended up restoring them from my iCloud backup and now Google Maps doesn't open automatically again. This leads me to believe there is a setting or combination of settings somewhere causing this.

Safari doesn't open Google Maps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.