Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network Connection Timed Out

When using iTunes (specially doing iOS apps updates within iTunes), more frequently than not over the last few months, I get an error message saying:

"Could not purchase "name of the app". The network connection timed out.

Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, then try again."

Everything else I do over WiFi works flawlessly, web pages, email, streaming, etc, but using iTunes (iOS app update as already mentioned, but sometimes updating my iCloud Music Library, and others even just opening iTunes and doing nothing) is frequently giving me this error.

Updating apps on my iOS devices can also be a bit hit and miss, with no error message of any sort, but sometimes the apps take forever to start downloading, or won't download at all, when everything else WiFi related is working fine...

I've wondered if it's something wrong on Apple's end (app update servers? wild guess here...), but I think if that was the case I would see more widespread reports about it!

Considering everything else seems to be working fine on my WiFi I didn't want to fiddle around with settings that might break other things, so would really appreciate some help from the community on this one.

macOS Sierra 10.12.1

iTunes 12.5.3

Posted on Nov 7, 2016 11:12 PM

7 replies

Nov 8, 2016 1:28 AM in response to CamiASC

If you want to do a test to narrow down the cause, create a new "Test User" account in System Preferences Users & Groups pane. It can be Standard (not Administrator). Log out and log in to new user account (do not use Fast User Switching for this purpose). In new user account, run iTunes and sign in with your Apple ID. You have a new iTunes library there, but you should see your iCloud Music Library. You cannot sync your iOS device, because it's a different iTunes library, but try doing other things in iTunes that cause the observed problems.

If those problems do not occur in new user account, the cause is probably in your usual user account. For example, you may have an incompatible login item or iTunes plug-in, or a problem with your usual iTunes library. If those problem do occur in new user account, the cause is probably at the system or application level. For example, an incompatible system extension, or some type of iTunes "bug," or a network connection issue. Either way, you can better focus your troubleshooting.

Nov 8, 2016 2:05 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

That makes perfect sense, I do have yet another question before I go ahead and try that:

At the moment I have no "individual" users in my Mac, I'm the only user and have no password, so when turning computer on or waking from sleep, it goes straight to the desktop without having to choose a specific user or password.

After creating this Test User for diagnostic purposes, will I be able to remove it, and will my setup remain the same as it is at the moment? (i.e. no need to choose a user or write password upon startup/waking from sleep)

Nov 8, 2016 2:41 AM in response to CamiASC

There has to be at least ONE Administrator user account. That's probably the one you are logged into right now. And it does have a password, but you can have it set to do Automatic login. So you don't have to enter it when you start up your computer. And if you have the Security & Privacy pane set to not require a password when waking the Mac, you don't need it there either. However, you do need the password to do things like update software or make system (not user) level changes to settings.

Open System Preference Users & Groups pane. In the sidebar (left side), where it says Current User, THAT is your user account. That preference pane makes system level changes, so you need to click the Lock symbol and enter your administrator password to unlock the settings. If you're saying you don't know the password for your admin user account, that's a problem. Not just for this one purpose, but for other things like authorizing installation of third-party software and changing other system-level settings.

You won't be able to add a new user account, unless you can enter the admin user password on the Users & Groups pane to unlock it.

Nov 8, 2016 3:10 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Your description is absolutely right, there is one Admin account, I know the password for that, and I have it set to automatic login.

So after creating the Test User account, diagnosing, and then deleting the Test User account, I can go back to my single Administrator account with automatic login with no password required to wake the Mac, as is now, correct?

I'm at work at the moment so will only be able to test this later in the day, but will report back once I do.

Thank you for your help.

Nov 8, 2016 4:11 AM in response to CamiASC

Yes, you can remove the "test" user account after you're done with it. Actually, even with that other account present, nothing changes regarding your current user account. It is still set for automatic login and the security setting for no password to wake is not affected. It sometimes helps to have the second user account, for testing and troubleshooting, so you may want to keep it around. It does not take up very much storage space, since you're not actively using it. But it's like having a second Mac that you can switch to, with its own user-level settings and data... (You should make it Standard, not Admin.)

Nov 8, 2016 11:52 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Having created the new "Test User" account, and opening iTunes, I can replicate the same issue in 2 out of the usual 3 scenarios I usually have the Connection Timed Out error:

- Update iCloud Music Library, and

- Update Genius

both gave the same message in the new account.

I was unfortunately unable to test the more frequent situation I get the error message on, which is when updating my iOS apps via iTunes. Even though I signed in with my Apple ID when opening iTunes, I take it that because no iOS devices had been synched / associated with that iTunes library there were no apps to update...

So does this mean that the cause is probably at the system or application level? What shall I try next?

Network Connection Timed Out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.