📢 Newsroom Update

Introducing Apple Watch Series 10. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple Watch Ultra 2 now available in black titanium. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is does my speaker sound distorted?

I've just upgraded from an Apple Watch 0 to an Apple Watch Series 2. I used the 0 for swimming, etc... and never really had an issue with the sound.

I've noticed a problem with the sound coming from the speaking sounded very distorted - almost like the speaker has something pressed against it so it buzzes and sounds tinny. It started yesterday afternoon, and seemed to rectify itself by the late evening. In the last few hours, I've noticed it again.

If I run the little water clearing sound through the speaker, I can see liquid coming from the speaker - so maybe it's water getting in there and when it dries, the speaker sounds ok again.

The strange thing is that I had the series 0 for nearly a year, and I don't remember there being this kind of an issue with a bit of water causing the speaker to sound so bad.

Any other series 2 owners having issues with their speaker sounding distorted? What could this be?

Posted on Nov 9, 2016 10:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2018 8:53 AM

Hi

If water remains in the speaker on your Apple Watch Series 2 or 3 after engaging and then turning off Water Lock, then it may help to repeat the process by manually enabling and turning off Water Lock at least once more:

About Apple Watch water resistance - Apple Support

If the speaker remains muffled after multiple uses of Water Lock, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for advice and assistance:

More information:

Important handling information

(Note that Apple expressly advises against using compressed air when cleaning or drying Apple Watch).

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 11, 2018 8:53 AM in response to AR76

Hi

If water remains in the speaker on your Apple Watch Series 2 or 3 after engaging and then turning off Water Lock, then it may help to repeat the process by manually enabling and turning off Water Lock at least once more:

If the speaker remains muffled after multiple uses of Water Lock, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for advice and assistance:

More information:

Important handling information

(Note that Apple expressly advises against using compressed air when cleaning or drying Apple Watch).

Mar 11, 2017 3:45 AM in response to JamieJ73

UPDATE

I took Jonathan advice to contact apple support first, whilst they were really helpful (thanks Amanda) the speaker distortion issue cleared up whilst chatting to support. A few more tries at turning the water lock on and clearing by turning the dial plus calling someone on the phone and checking if the distortion was there eventually cleared out any remaining water it seems. Probably will avoid showers with watch on in future...

Aug 4, 2017 8:02 AM in response to Craigy-Baby

I have the exact same problem. After about 2 months I brought the watch back to apple and after they sent it out they exchanged it with another watch. the original watch needed to have the water ejected 2 or 3 times and then it sounded fine. but after a couple of months it took many hours before sounding ok again.

The replacement watch sounded tinny for a couple of hours after numerous ejections. Now a few months later it takes 4 to six hours before it sounds right again.

I'm going to bring it back to apple and let them exchange it again.

I hope that this is not normal for a watch that's this expensive!

Dec 1, 2017 7:35 AM in response to JamieJ73

I have the exact same problem. Mine was replaced at the Apple store after waiting a few days for Tech to look at it and agree with me. But the replacement does the exact same thing. I have the extended warranty. I think I’ll just keep exchanging it until Apple admits that there is a design flaw and gets me an updated watch.

To spend this money much money on this watch and have this problem is not right. You can’t tell me that none of the beta testers saw this and Apple didn’t know about it!

Nov 9, 2016 10:19 AM in response to Craigy-Baby

Hi

Be sure to expel water from the speaker after exposing Apple Watch Series 2 to water.

Swimming workouts

Starting a swimming workout in the Workout app on Apple Watch Series 2 models automatically enables Water Lock, which locks the screen to prevent accidental interactions during your workout.

To finish your workout and expel any water:

• Press the Digital Crown and the side button at the same time (which pauses the workout).
  • Turn the Digital Crown, which unlocks the screen and clears any water from inside the watch's speaker (it may make a sound).
  • Swipe right and tap on End.

Other swimming

If you plan to get your Apple Watch Series 2 wet under other circumstances than when tracking a swimming workout - such as during general wear in a pool - you can manually lock the screen first and then clear water from the speaker afterwards:

• Swipe up from the bottom of the watch face to open Control Center > tap on Water Lock to lock the screen.
  • When finished: turn the Digital Crown to unlock the screen and to clear water from the speaker.
  • The lock can also be enabled and immediately unlocked after unexpected water exposure to expel any water.

After swimming, be sure to clean your Apple Watch Series 2 by gently rinsing it with warm tap water. The watch and band should be dried using a nonabrasive, lint-free cloth.

More information:

Work out with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

https://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd707b42a5e

Nov 9, 2016 12:32 PM in response to Jonathan UK

Thank you Jonathan. That's really helpful, but I have already tried clearing the water with the lock and water expel function. It doesn't seem to make much difference to distorted sound. I haven't been swimming with the watch.

Oddly enough, I've just heard it make a sound now (a few hours later) and it's fine again...

My question is really about whether other people have experienced a little water having such an effect on the speaker in their Apple Watch 2? As I mentioned before, I didn't recall my original Apple Watch 0 having a speaker this sensitive to a little water. Is there something wrong with my device?

Nov 9, 2016 5:47 PM in response to Craigy-Baby

If you are concerned about a potential hardware issue with the speaker, I suggest that you contact Apple Support, taking advantage of your initial 90 days of complimentary telephone-based technical support.

If necessary, Apple can arrange for your watch to be inspected and, if required, serviced or replaced under warranty:

Why is does my speaker sound distorted?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.