Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I swim with the Milanese loop band?

I bought this watch specifically for the swimming function. However, I wanted a nice looking watch so I bought that Milanese loop band. Now having read an article from Apple ...it stated that this band is not water resistant. What does this mean? Does it mean that I cannot swim with this band? If so, then Apple is very misleading in it's advertising and marketing and I am taking my watch back. Any help would be appreciated.

Apple Watch Series 2, watchOS 3.1

Posted on Nov 11, 2016 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2016 2:34 PM

Thank you Jonathan.

It is truly unfortunate that Apple produced a steel band that is not suitable for swimming, without advertising it. I have other watches that are stainless steel link watches that are suitable so I am not sure why Apple would manufacture a watch that is not suitable for swimming, especially since they are really pushing the fact that their watches are made to be used in swimming pools. This is especially true given the high price of this watch. I am very disappointed with Apple and will probably return the watch.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2016 2:34 PM in response to Jonathan UK

Thank you Jonathan.

It is truly unfortunate that Apple produced a steel band that is not suitable for swimming, without advertising it. I have other watches that are stainless steel link watches that are suitable so I am not sure why Apple would manufacture a watch that is not suitable for swimming, especially since they are really pushing the fact that their watches are made to be used in swimming pools. This is especially true given the high price of this watch. I am very disappointed with Apple and will probably return the watch.

Nov 11, 2016 2:29 PM in response to BarbOttawa

Hi

The Milanese Loop band should not be worn when swimming.

If you purchased your Apple Watch from Apple and are still within the return period, you may prefer to exchange your Apple Watch for a case and band combination that does not include a stainless steel or leather band.

More information:

About Apple Watch water resistance - Apple Support

Nov 11, 2016 2:47 PM in response to Jonathan UK

Thank you, I most certainly will.

Another responder suggested that I only have 14 days with which to return the watch. Unfortunately, I will not be able to do so as I am currently in the United States on holidays for 5 weeks but bought the watch in Canada. Actually, overall I have been disappointed with the watch in general. I've been having problems with it from day one. For example sometimes my watch will notify me that a call is coming in and other times it does not. It also freezes. Further, apps that I downloaded that are supposed to work with the I watch don't.... for example swingxswing which a golf app. Anyway, really appreciate your help.

Nov 11, 2016 3:40 PM in response to BarbOttawa

In respect of the issues that you mentioned:

Call notifications:

• With Wrist Detection and Passcode enabled, ensure that you unlock your watch after placing it on your wrist.

• Freezing / apps:

• If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

• Install any available app updates via the App Store > Updates (tab) on your iPhone.

• Close problematic apps and restart both your iPhone and your watch:
    • To close affected apps on your iPhone, double-click the Home button, then swipe up on each app preview to close it.

• Unpair and re-pair your watch:
  • Nov 12, 2016 2:20 PM in response to BarbOttawa

Hi BarbOttawa,

Aside from Jonathan UK's excellent advice, I would only say that I would never wear a Milanese loop while swimming – for the simple reason that the loop might actually undo itself with all the water splashing around it! (Swimming is one of my two exercises so obviously I've given quite some thought to this issue...)

Gold luck to you.

Can I swim with the Milanese loop band?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.