Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BT Mail/Yahoo Mail will not configure

I bought a new mac book Pro with the OS Sierra on it and I managed to get my BT Mail (Yahoo) working after some experimentation.

I then installed the update to OS Sierra 10.12.1 and apart from losing a number of login passwords my Mail was wiped of the machine.

I then tried setting up mail again and I keep getting account login errors from the mail client, yet my BT/Yahoo mail detects that the Mac has successfully logged in!

This is NOT helping my impression of MAC!

I have looked on the communities and the trouble shooting guides but nothing seems to change the basic behaviour.

Trying to set the account up as other fails too as the software thinks the account already exists!

What is going ON!!!!

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10.1.1, Update 10.12.1

Posted on Nov 12, 2016 3:40 AM

6 replies

Nov 12, 2016 5:01 AM in response to Holbrook Eagle

It may be worth trying from scratch. Remove the accounts from System Preferences > Internet Accounts, and click any of the accounts relating to your BT Mail account in the left list and remove them by clicking the minus âž– button at the bottom of the list.

Restart the Mac for good measure. Then open Mail.

1. Select Mail > Preferences in the top left corner

2. Select Accounts in the window which appears

3. Click the plus âž• symbol at the bottom of the left list

4. Select Other Mail Account... and click continue

5. Fill out your email address and password and click sign in

BT are still in the process of migrating email accounts from Yahoo to their own new(ish) mail servers, which may have been what caused the problem - especially if macOS is trying to access it through now redundant Yahoo routes. If your account doesn't automatically configure, use the settings below in the Mail Preferences > Accounts window once you've added the account under Server Settings:

IMAP & SMTP Host Name: mail.btinternet.com
Port: 993 (this should be automatically set if you tick the SSL Encryption)
SSL Encryption: Enabled (but not STARTTLS)
Username: your email address including the @btinternet or @btopenworld.com part
Password: your btinternet password

Nov 14, 2016 12:29 PM in response to Holbrook Eagle

Every time I upgraded my El Capitan I lost my connection to BT/Yahoo mail whilst my gmail account worked perfectly. I could use Yahoo mail on my iPhone and iPad but not on my MAC. I eventually discovered that I could edit the SMTP list because my email address and password were not being stored. Once edited the problem disappeared and the status quo restored.

Ever since I upgraded to MAC OS Sierra I have again lost access to BT/Yahoo and the resolution that worked previously no longer provides me with the opportunity to reconfigure the BT/Yahoo parameters. Once again I can send and receive using my iPhone and iPad and I can access my Yahoo account with web access!

I really wish one of the parties (Apple or BT) would own up to where the problem lies!!! I suspect each will blame the other 😟

BT Mail/Yahoo Mail will not configure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.