Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imessage and FaceTime can't sign in

I Have an iPad mini and I recently had to change my Apple ID, it then asked me to sign back into iMessage and FaceTime but when I try to it won't let me and comes up with "an error occurred during the activation try again" what do I do?

iPad Mini, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Nov 12, 2016 4:17 AM

4 replies

Jan 19, 2017 4:39 AM in response to Teddy_B

My iPad won't allow me to log into iMessage or FaceTime and I have done all the steps suggested above. I have done the back up, reset my iPad and then restored it and it still will not work. I keep getting "FaceTime Activtion, an error occurred during activation. Try again" and no matter how many times I try, it says the same thing. Anything else I can try?

Nov 12, 2016 5:16 PM in response to jessiefromwinchester

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities,

I see you're having an issue getting signed into iMessage and FaceTime after changing your Apple ID. I use both of those features myself and know it's important to have access to them and I'd be happy to help.

Let's start by making sure you were able sign back into iCloud with the new Apple ID: Sign in with your Apple ID on a new device​

Look at the section titled: Sign in to iCloud​

If you are signed into iCloud in Settings with the correct Apple ID, then take a look at this article: Get help signing in to Messages, FaceTime, and Game Center
Let us know if this works.
Have a great day!

Nov 14, 2016 9:22 AM in response to jessiefromwinchester

Thank you for your response and update.

Are you currently connected to Wi-Fi?

Connect to Wi-Fi on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
Also, are all of your other applications working? If so, we'd like to have you go ahead and make a backup of your device in iCloud or iTunes. Then restore your device to factory settings and set it up as a new device and see if you can sign into iMessage and FaceTime. If you are able to, then go ahead and restore the data backup to your phone from your backup and test again.
How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to factory settings​
Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup​
Let us know if this works.
Have a great day!

imessage and FaceTime can't sign in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.