Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My neighbour access to my apple tv!

Hello,

I'll try to make this as clear as possible (sorry for the potential mistakes, english is just a 2nd language).

I own an Apple TV 4.

I am connected to my own network, ISP being Orange (french one).

My neighbour, at the 3rd floor (I live at the 4th floor), also owns an Apple TV 4.

He is connected to Internet through another ISP, Numericable (also french one).

When he tries to connect from his iPad to his Apple TV, he also sees mine (which on a different network) and when, by mistake, he tries to connect to mine and not his, it turns on my TV! Then, I see a screen with 4 boxes where a passcode is required. But I see the name of his iPad, or his iPhone.

Why that? How can he see my AppleTv and succeed to turn it on?!

How can I keep him for doing so? (and everyone else to access to my device in fact...)

thank you!

Olivier

Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Nov 12, 2016 6:29 AM

6 replies

Jul 31, 2017 3:37 AM in response to olibi1

The best way is to have Airplay turned off completely, while not using it. I'm surrounded by 4 extra Apple TV's and my neighbours will pick the wrong one all the time. That means my viewing of movies will be interrupted, or even worse: when I'm not at home, my TV will still turn on to show the password prompt and then not turn itself off for hours...

It's a huge mess and I can't believe Apple is not fixing this flaw.

Nov 12, 2016 2:24 PM in response to olibi1

You could be encountering peer to peer AirPlay which allows others that are in close proximity to AirPlay to an Apple TV without having to be logged onto your wifi network. In flats and apartments this can also include neighbours.

Whilst it won’t stop others trying to AirPlay to your Apple TV, to cover the possibility that it may be being done by accident, you may wish to think whether the name of your Apple TV is sufficient to deter accidentally trying to connect. You can change the name of your Apple TV at Settings > General > About > Name. You can also set your AirPlay security settings to avoid those you don’t want being able to AirPlay to your Apple TV or ensure that the message you have seen stops.

There are two types of password protection for AirPlay.

The first is an on-screen passcode, in which the Apple TV will display a four number password on screen, which you must enter into your mobile device before AirPlay can be enabled. This is typically to ensure that users are in the room where the TV is, before enabling AirPlay. This typically protects against disruptive behaviour from someone somewhere else while someone is trying to use AirPlay.

The second is a hidden password password which needs to be remembered by all users who will have access to AirPlay, unless you share this password with others. This method doesn’t lend itself well to use by guests unless you tell them your password but it does mean that accidental attempts from others don’t disturb you.

You can turn either type of protection on or off by navigating to Settings > AirPlay.

My neighbour access to my apple tv!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.