Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet Port is not Working

I am still unable to use the ethernet port on my iMac. I have tried all steps outlined in this support article - twice and still nothing. If the Ethernet connection on your Mac stopped working recently - Apple Support

I have confirmed that the problem is isolated to the iMac - I can connect to the internet with other computers so ruling out any other network issues.

I am running El Capitan Version 10.1.6 on my 27" iMac. I currently have version 2.13 of the Incompatible Kernel Extension - installed on 08/15/2015.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Nov 12, 2016 12:04 PM

3 replies

Nov 13, 2016 12:00 PM in response to twingle5

I'm not sure what "I was able update Incompatible Kernel Extension to version 3.30.1" means. Do you mean you installed or reinstalled OS X? You should only use the kernel extension and kernel that comes with an OS X version. I would recommend you reinstall OS X from scratch then see if the Ethernet port is working. If not, then it's likely you have a hardware issue. If you were connected by Ethernet during a time of severe power surges or very nearby lightning strikes, then possibly the port was damaged. It happened to me a long time back. Fortunately, I was using an old PowerMac with slots, so I just installed a board with Ethernet ports. Cheap solution, but much harder to do these days except in a Mac Pro.

Ethernet Port is not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.