Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP ME FIX MY MAC PRO! Colored lines and pixels galore!

A few months ago I ran a system update as prompted by my 2008 Mac Pro, and when it restarted, I was faced with pink vertical lines across the screen during startup (see picture) and then a pixelated screen (see picture). Once on this page, I cannot access anything on the computer, it just sits here. I have tried a lot of different troubleshooting processes, including booting in safe mode and running disk utility. Other than that, I am stumped and very much in need of some guidance!!

Specs: OS X 10.9.5, Processor: 2.66 Ghz Intel Core i5, Memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Can anyone help me???User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), null

Posted on Nov 12, 2016 4:02 PM

12 replies

Nov 13, 2016 1:03 AM in response to jstacy09

Since the OP says i5 it must be a MacBoo Pro.

However, per

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro

there was no 2.66 GHz 2008 models but there was an early 2009 and mid 2010 that all have 1066 MHz memory

How to identify MacBook Pro models - Apple Support

It appears you have a graphics hardware problem. Some 2010 had a problem

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) intermittent black screen or loss of video Quality Program has ended - Apple Support

Nov 14, 2016 10:48 AM in response to jstacy09

As suggested, likely its the graphics card; and that would require a replacement.

The reason why several inquiries about your product, is that so many items posted

here in Mac Pro (desktop) are mis-placed and actually are users of Mac(Book) Pro

users who continually misidentify their product. I've asked dozens of those be re-

located to their appropriate ASC discussion section. Some never are.

So a diagnostic by a trained AASP to be sure is one advisement.

In any event...

Good luck & happy trails! 🙂

Nov 14, 2016 11:13 AM in response to jstacy09

what update was available for a 2008 mac months ago that you ran?

it appears you have an imac not a mac pro, Mac Pros's did not have an option for an i5 in 2008.

Your GPU or the drivers may be damaged and I suggest you run the diagnostic disks that came with your computer to determine if a problem can be isolated.

if you have a backup I would consider restoring to the OS that shipped with your computer from the original disks that came at the time of purchaser and seeing if the issue is resolved. If it is the problem does not occur in the previous OS the issue is faulty drivers, if not the problem could be hardware related.

Nov 14, 2016 11:30 AM in response to jstacy09

Be sure to correctly identify your product with some detail before attempting to

seek assistance or opinion about the status of a specific product. You may be

able to find out exactly what week/month/year and build version of your Apple

product from third-party web site, by serial number. Don't post the number here.

• Mac Serial Number Info - Lookup Your Apple Serial Number:

https://www.powerbookmedic.com/identify-mac-serial.php

So far I've been able to tell by the image posted, the item was not a portable Mac

because of the display; however that looks like an Apple Display, not MacBook/Pro.

However the iMac also does look like a standalone Apple display, too.

This discussion has now been moved at least twice. So help us in being overly

detail conscious such as information from http://mactracker.ca can provide. Or

additional info such as http://everymac.com has about each build model Mac.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Nov 14, 2016 1:51 PM in response to jstacy09

Colored stripes in the picture at startup on an iMac is an indictment of the screen memory.

Unfortunately, the screen memory on these models is likely to be special VRAM soldered onto the mainboard. This means replacement would be done by replacing the mainboard, an expensive proposition out of warranty.

An appointment at the genius Bar can provide a free evaluation, in warranty or out, and can provide an estimate of the cost as well. Be sure to ask whether it would be eligible for depot repair, which takes a little longer but is sometimes far less money. In depot repair, they will usually fix everything on your complaint laundry-list for one comparatively low price.

HELP ME FIX MY MAC PRO! Colored lines and pixels galore!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.