Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchased videos won't play without wifi

I bought several videos using iTunes on my computer and synced them to my iPhone 6s. When I try to play them using the videos app it says I need to connect to wifi in order to play them. How do I play them without wifi??

Thanks!!

Posted on Nov 12, 2016 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2017 12:53 PM

I recently fully downloaded 3 shows on my up to date iPad. I was planning to watch them on a flight but when I clicked on them in "Downloaded" in Videos in Library (in airplane mode) nothing happens. When I clicked on "Watch Now" in Library (in airplane mode) it says I must connect to wifi. When I click on them in "Watch Now" (out of airplane mode, not in wifi) I just get a spinning gray circle. I've owned several iPads and many iPhones and laptops and have always watched downloaded shows with no wifi. Obviously, now that I'm home and have wifi, I no longer need to watch them. I can do that on my TV, DVR, or online! I see several other people having similar problems but I have yet to find a fix. What gives?

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2017 12:53 PM in response to brenden dv

I recently fully downloaded 3 shows on my up to date iPad. I was planning to watch them on a flight but when I clicked on them in "Downloaded" in Videos in Library (in airplane mode) nothing happens. When I clicked on "Watch Now" in Library (in airplane mode) it says I must connect to wifi. When I click on them in "Watch Now" (out of airplane mode, not in wifi) I just get a spinning gray circle. I've owned several iPads and many iPhones and laptops and have always watched downloaded shows with no wifi. Obviously, now that I'm home and have wifi, I no longer need to watch them. I can do that on my TV, DVR, or online! I see several other people having similar problems but I have yet to find a fix. What gives?

Jul 12, 2017 3:28 PM in response to Chill1187

I noticed this started happening about 4-6 months ago. Before I never had a problem playing a downloaded movie on my IPad while on a plane without a WiFi connection.

Now 'every' movie I download onto the same iPad requires a WiFi connection to 'start' the movie. Without a WiFi connection you would hit the Play button and it would act like it was going to start playing for about half a second and then revert back to the original play screen again. It would just keeping repeating this every time I would hit Play.

As I was already on the plane when this happened, but before takeoff I was able to quickly turn on my Hot Spot on my iPhone and then turn on my WiFi on my iPad and quickly connect to my Hot Spot, then hit Play on the movie which would actually start the movie, Pause the movie, go back and turn off WiFi and set to Airplane Mode on iPad and then able to resume watching the movie that I had to 'jump start' using my hot spot withou t any further issue.

I have to do this every time now! Not sure why ITunes makes you 'authorize' your already downloaded movie 'Again' before you can watch it. Hope the above Hotspot trick works for others who have that as an option.

Nov 13, 2016 11:53 AM in response to AJ_82

Hi AJ_82,

If you would like to watch videos that were purchased on your computer, on your iPhone, please verify that your iTunes and App store are signed in with the same Apple ID you use on your computer. You can then download the videos locally to your iPhone 6s storage.

Redownload a movie or TV show

You can only redownload a movie or TV show that you bought from the iTunes Store. Rented movies or TV shows are not available for redownload.

You can redownload movies and TV shows on your iPhone or iPod touch, iPad, Mac, or PC. You can watch previously purchased movies or TV shows on your Apple TV, but they don't download to the device.

On an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Tap Settings > Videos and make sure Show iTunes Purchases is on.
  2. Close Settings, then open the Videos app.
  3. Depending on what you want to download, tap Movies or TV Shows at the bottom of the screen.
    User uploaded file
  4. Find the movie or TV show that you want to redownload, then tap it.
  5. Tap User uploaded file . The video downloads to your device.

If you can't find an item in Videos using these steps, download it from the iTunes Store app:

1. iPhone or iPod touch: Open the iTunes Store app and tap More > Purchased.
    iPad: Open the iTunes Store app and tap Purchased.
  2. Depending on what you want to download, tap Movies or TV Shows.
  3. Find the movie or TV show that you want to redownload, then tap it.
  4. Tap User uploaded file . The video downloads to your device.

Download your past purchases

You can also enable automatic downloads of your iTunes and App store purchases on your iPhone. Turn on Automatic Downloads for iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store purchases

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities to post your question. Let us know if this will work.

Have a great day.

Purchased videos won't play without wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.