Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Retina 2015 + LG UltraFine 4K = 60Hz?

Will the first generation MacBook Retina from 2015 run the LG UltraFine 4K at 60Hz?

The question is simple as that. I read conflicting information.

MacBook, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Nov 14, 2016 1:17 PM

8 replies

Nov 14, 2016 2:44 PM in response to AppeLappe

Actually, if you read that support article carefully, you'll notice that the 2015/2016 Retina MacBooks are not on the list of machines that support 4k/60Hz under Yosemite...only MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs. The Retina MacBooks are only covered under the HDMI section, specifying:

• 3840x2160 at 30 Hz refresh rate
  • 4096x2160 at 24 Hz refresh rate (mirroring is not supported at this resolution)

Nov 14, 2016 9:54 PM in response to AppeLappe

Thank you all for your replies.

Maybe there´s no conflicting information from Apple, but I still feel the lack of information from Apple.

On the displays support-page they don't mention frequencies.

On other forums I read that the slow speeds on the USB-C ports on the screen indicates that it should work at 60Hz even for first generation MacBooks. But people are also referring to the support-page MarinerBlue links to, that states limitations when using HDMI.

Nov 30, 2016 1:39 AM in response to AppeLappe

I tried myself. I can confirm that this monitor does not work with older macs without USB-C. I have tried several cables & adapters based on misleading opinions on various forums. The following is what I have tried so far and did not work.

1. TB3/USB-C (monitor) -> TB2 apple (mac) adapter. This didn't work.

2. miniDP1.2 (mac) -> DP1.2 -> USB-C (monitor). This didn't work.

3. HDMI (mac) -> USB-C (monitor). This didn't work.

The older macs I used are 13" rMBP 2015 and 15" rMBP 2015. I do have a 13" MBP 2016 with touchbar, and the monitor runs beautifully.

I will post this at various places so that others do not buy the monitor based on false hope and eventually return it as I am going to.

MacBook Retina 2015 + LG UltraFine 4K = 60Hz?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.