Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2011 - Repair Extension programme for Video Issues - repair broken after 12 months

I am one of the thousands of people who finally got their poorly designed MBP 2011 logic boards replaced for free ( in both of my 2011 MBP pro's) - this was supposedly a "redesigned" logic board not a standard replacement

One of these MBP's "fixed" Logic boards has now failed AGAIN with very similar symptoms ( random reboots / graphics problems ) and will be taken to Apple today.

What concerns me is that the "repair" doesn't seem to have fixed the issue at all - just deferred the problem for another 12 months ( this is the forth logic board this laptop has had in its lifetime !!!

Has anyone else had their replacement logic board repaired under the programme fail ?

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011)

Posted on Nov 15, 2016 5:17 AM

9 replies

Nov 15, 2016 7:37 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

The repair programme for 2011 MBP's was extended until Dec 31st 2016

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

"The program covers affected MacBook Pro models until December 31, 2016 or four years from its original date of sale, whichever provides longer coverage for you."

This is a new logic board ( its 4th but the other 3 could have been apple refurb's ) that was specifically designed not to have the issue of the other three. The failure symptoms are none the less identical

Nov 15, 2016 8:50 AM in response to eris23

Confirmed by Apple that a new logic board is needed

Interestingly he mentioned that ,while the first Logic board offered under the repair programme fixed the GPU issue it introduced a second issue, which has now been rectified with a redesign of the redesigned board ... (taken with a pinch of salt so believe what you will )

Nov 15, 2016 9:09 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

Jimmy I know - I have lived with this issue across 6 logic boards in two MBP pro 17" machines

I'm trying to post something useful to find out / let the community know that the "fixed"logic boards can still fail after only 12 months ... apparently with the same symptoms ... and the apple genius seems to have confirmed that at least that the "redesigned" boards do in fact have another issue that can cause failure ( as mentioned below)

Nov 15, 2016 9:22 AM in response to eris23

The nature of electrical components is they will break down, immediately after or a year later or wherever. So the symptoms may be the same for a failing GPU but it does not say with conclusion the issue that caused the breakdown was identical. I've had macs with GPU fails that were not part of this program, I've had Windows systems with GPU's do the same. GPU's are not warrantied to work indefinitely, past that this is a volunteer forum and if you need to speak with an Apple Representitive use the Contact Apple link at the bottom of this page and you can let them know their policy to address this was insufficient to you and they can offer either offer you a solution you pursue or not. if you want to pursue on this site there are already posts on this subject here.

MacBook Pro 2011 - Repair Extension programme for Video Issues - repair broken after 12 months

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.