Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn off voicemail transcription?

Posted on Nov 15, 2016 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2017 6:34 AM

After all that's gone on with government snooping and companies pilfering through our private conversations for advertising, I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with this feature. Especially since it's forced on us, "free" and with no option to opt out. I've seen too many "gifts" that wound up carrying a hidden price tag I didn't want.

There is a trick to stop it. It only translates two languages. To disable it, change the Siri language to Australian English, Indian English or some other language it doesn't translate. It will come back with "Translation Unavailable".

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2017 6:34 AM in response to Stever92000

After all that's gone on with government snooping and companies pilfering through our private conversations for advertising, I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with this feature. Especially since it's forced on us, "free" and with no option to opt out. I've seen too many "gifts" that wound up carrying a hidden price tag I didn't want.

There is a trick to stop it. It only translates two languages. To disable it, change the Siri language to Australian English, Indian English or some other language it doesn't translate. It will come back with "Translation Unavailable".

Apr 26, 2017 10:08 AM in response to SSJDancer

SSJDancer wrote:

The transcriptions are a JOKE as far as accuracy..

Funny you should say that, because mine have been very accurate. I've only witnessed minor errors where words it could not understand were left out. I've even seen it add the uh, um, and all those pauses we put into conversation, and then when listening to the actual voicemail, I find the missing words were things the caller mumbled through. In my work, I find I like to read over the transcription and can prioritize what I wish to listen to later on.

If you wish to have a say in what you think, then share that with Apple on their feedback page here, http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html Apple does not participate here on the forum, the feedback site is where they get to see comments about products.

Apr 26, 2017 8:43 AM in response to Community User

I hope they fix it SOON!! To have something so annoying and ineffectual just randomly start appearing and NOT be able to turn it off is ridiculous, to say the least! The transcriptions are a JOKE as far as accuracy... It's like playing "Telephone" as a child, when you sit in a circle and pass a whispered message around... The outcome is LAUGHABLE!! APPLE laid a big turd on this one.

May 12, 2017 5:22 PM in response to Cmstr

Translation does not require a wifi connection at all. I've had calls when nowhere near a wifi node, and let them go to voicemail and had the translation available within 5-10 minutes, no wifi involved at all.

If your carrier supports wifi calling, it may also push your voicemail to your device over wifi when connected, to reduce data on their own network. AT&T wifi calling does this - voicemail will be sent over wifi if your phone is connected to a network (as will SMS texts, for those carriers that support it with wifi calling enabled).

Nov 15, 2016 9:41 AM in response to Stever92000

You cannot. There currently is no way to turn it off, the process is in a beta test mode. The closest you could get to turning it off would be for you to have your cellular carrier disable Visual Voicemail, and revert your account back to the normal voicemail which then requires you to call in to your voicemail service. You would no longer see your voicemail in a list as you do now.

If you would like to see Apple provide a method to turn this off, then you need to provide feedback to them here, http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.