Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10699 for the file /applications/safari.app

Hi,

I'm trying to open Safari on El Capitan by clicking the icon and it refuses to start.

I tried to open in from the command line by giving the command

open /Applications/Safari.app

and it returned the following error:

LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10699 for the file /Applications/Safari.app

If instead of trying to open the application's directory as I'd normally do for any other app, I try to run directly the binary using the following command:

open /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari

It starts with no problem.

Has anyone come across that?

(currently I'm using a symbolic link on the Desktop to run Safari to overcome this:

ln -s /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari ~/Desktop/Safari

Thank you

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), iMac 20" Early 2008, 2.66GHz

Posted on Nov 15, 2016 2:45 PM

3 replies

Nov 19, 2016 2:25 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric and thank you for your reply. Unfortunately it's not the alias on the dock that is corrupted but something inside the application package contents.

I tried to find on the time machine the last backup that worked restoring them to a different location one by one and I found out that the update at September 30 of Safari from v10.0 to v10.0.1 was the one that wasn't working.

Since the System Integrity Protection of El Capitan was enabled, I couldn't even use the Time Machine to restore the working version to the original Applications folder, so I had to reboot holding Cmd+R to the recovery mode, open the terminal and disable it by entering the command "csrutil disable".

After rebooting, I still had to right click the Safari icon, then Get Info and then change the permissions of "Everyone" to Read/Write.

By doing that I could delete the non working copy, enter time machine and restore the last working one.

Even with the SIP turned off, you still have to go through the permissions change step to restore it from the Time Machine.

Last step after I made sure that Safari was now working (even though it was downgraded to the previous version which I don't like from the security point of view), I rebooted again to the recovery mode and re-enabled the SIP by entering the command "csrutil enable" on the Terminal.

I still have the two copies (working and non working) and I'll try to look for differences.

The only strange thing was that the "non working" copy even though it wasn't running from the icon on the dock, neither from the icon on the Applications folder (the icon wouldn't even bounce so the error was before starting the executable), as I mentioned on the original post, I was getting an error even from the terminal with the "open /Applications/Safari.app" but surprisingly I was still able to run it with the command "/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari", i.e. by calling the binary directly.

Nov 22, 2016 1:25 AM in response to skesinis

It would be interesting for me to find the root cause for this, as all apps except the main one from die DisplayCAL software fail with LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 when I try to start them (macOS Sierra). On another machine running El Capitan, all apps (from the same download) run without problem.

LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10699 for the file /applications/safari.app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.