Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EMEA Lock

Hi everyone,

I have a iPhone 6, which was working fine in Europe with any SIM Card from any provider. However, I am now in Australia and every time I tried placing my Australian SIM in the phone it says, that this SIM is not supported. I went to the local Apple store and they told me that the phone has an EMEA lock. They tried resetting it, etc. but nothing worked, still get the same error. The phone is from Apple and not locked to any carrier and not on a plan. Is there anything that can be done about this lock? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 🙂

iPhone 6, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Nov 15, 2016 6:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2017 6:43 AM

I ended up solving the problem by doing a hard reset with my phone plugged into itunes.

You can find details on how to do that here: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201328

Although this didn't work the first few times, after long discussions and speaking with an apple senior advisor he Co twcted the engineering time and found out that because it was a replacement device, the IMEI number needed to be 'reset', as it was originally a locked phone.

Hope this saves someone from hours on customer service...

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2017 6:43 AM in response to feches

I ended up solving the problem by doing a hard reset with my phone plugged into itunes.

You can find details on how to do that here: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201328

Although this didn't work the first few times, after long discussions and speaking with an apple senior advisor he Co twcted the engineering time and found out that because it was a replacement device, the IMEI number needed to be 'reset', as it was originally a locked phone.

Hope this saves someone from hours on customer service...

Oct 14, 2017 10:29 AM in response to X_ch

Also having the same problem. My iPhone 6 is a replacement device from Aviva insurance based in the UK and was delivered to me locked to T Mobile (UK). I had them unlock it in July 2016 to use on a Verizon (US) network. I switched between Verizon and T Mobile multiple times successfully until October 2017 when I reset the phone and erased all the data on it. I now set the phone up as a new phone. Now, however, although it is unlocked according to Verizon and Tmobile (UK), when I place an AT&T or Verizon sim card in it, it doesn't work and I receive an alert saying that the sim card is incompatible according to the activation policy assigned by the activation server..

However, when I place a UK t mobile sim card in the phone it works. T mobile claims they can't do anything as the phone is unlocked on their server, and apple says they can't do anything because unlocking resides solely on the hands of the carrier... ***?!?

EMEA Lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.