Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost iPhone: Two-factor authentication and "Find my iPhone"

Dear Apple,

first of all: Thank you for the Two-factor authentication (= 2FA)!

I've just an important question to which I couldn't find an answer yet.

When you've enabled 2FA for iCloud.com, you need to authenticate against this using the six-digit verification code, which you'll see on your iPhone or any other Apple device.

That's ok, but what if you've lost your iPhone and want to use the "Find my iPhone" feature from iCloud.com?

Without your iPhone, you won't get the six-digit verification code for the 2FA and due of that, you won't be able to login to iCloud.com. As a consequence, you also won't be able to use the "Find my iPhone" feature to find your iPhone.

Well, as written in the FAQ (Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support), the Apple support can't verify your identity on the phone, email or anything else and due of that, they aren't allowed to disable the 2FA on your account.

Sure, you could receive the 2FA six-digit verification code on a second Apple device such as an iPad, MacBook or a second iPhone, but what, if you only have this single Apple device / iPhone?

In my case for example, I've whether verified other phone numbers nor do I have a home phone at home.

Is there any way to find my iPhone or even to disable the 2FA in this case?

Hope, somebody thought about this. Waiting for your feedback.

Thanks,

Sebastian

Posted on Nov 16, 2016 2:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2016 4:03 AM

I've found another FAQ, which was very useful and answered my question: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202649

5 replies

Nov 16, 2016 4:05 AM in response to Sebbo94

You can use the find my iphone feature without needing the 2FA - just the username and password as it is a "emergency scenario". 2FA is to secure your data and senstive information on your account so is needed when accessing account data.

It is possible to get 2FA codes using Mobile number as well, so if your phone was stolen, simply report it to the network and get a new phone and inset the SIM. Can then get a 2FA as a text message to access your data again.

Lost iPhone: Two-factor authentication and "Find my iPhone"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.