Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 15" 2016 with touch bar - FIRST IMPRESSIONS

So I just got my new MPB yesterday. The 15" with Touch Bar and Touch ID.

Quite simply, this is an amazing piece of tech. Everything works great EXCEPT I have already noticed a few glitches. Nothing major, but it might make some people a little annoyed.

1. THE KEYBOARD. The keys are larger and flatter (lower in profile) than my previous MBP (2012 model). They are also closer together. This makes it slightly harder to type on than a normal keyboard. Although I am getting used to the new feel, it still isn't as nice in my opinion. The more critical issue is the NOISE! It is louder than all other laptop keyboards that I have used. First I thought it was the table that I was working on, but even if I move the MBP on my lap and type, it still has a loud click/echo noise on each tap of a key. My first thought is that if an entire conference room or classroom is full of these models and people are typing, it could be really loud in the room!

2. POWER BUTTON HIDDEN. Some people think there is no physical power button. Actually it is under the finger print sensor. Rather than gently placing your finger on the sensor to use the Touch ID, you press it harder and it clicks. It took me awhile to figure this out on my own since there was no documentation that I could find on how to do a hard reset.

3. THREE FINGER DRAG IS BROKEN. I contacted Apple and they acknowledged it is a known issue until a new build of Sierra comes out. I'm even using the latest public beta and it doesn't work yet. So if you rely on dragging items with 3 fingers on the trackpad, you'll have to wait. It works 20% of the time (if you're lucky).

4. TOUCH BAR. Although this new feature is simply amazing and can be quite useful in some scenarios, currently VERY FEW 3rd party applications support it. When Adobe implements this in CC, I might actually use it. For now, it seems like a gimmick more than anything since most of the icons that dynamically appear with a few of the Apple programs are no more than repeats of icons already on the screen or keyboard shortcuts that you probably know. It doesn't seem intuitive to keep glancing down at the row and then move your hand from a mouse, Wacom tablet or even the trackpad to then press an icon or shortcut on the touch bar. Will have to see how this plays out over time.

5. SOUND/SPEAKERS. Seems very close to the volume/quality of the speakers on my 2012 MBP. Nothing spectacular here.

6. TOUCH ID. This is really useful as you would expect. Saves a lot of time from having to type in my password ever time I install something, etc. Just a quick touch with my finger and done. Seems a little faster than the Touch ID on the iPhone 7.

7. SCREEN. Also no different from the 2012 MBP Retina. It does seem "slightly" brighter at the highest setting. But the glare, angle of view seem to be the same when I compare them side by side.

8. PORTS. This is the worst part of the system. I do miss the SD card reader and the USB 3 ports. Having this stupid dongle is a pain and gets in the way. I realize the intent of Apple on doing this, but it is definitely an inconve

until all peripherals move to USB-C. A real downer for sure.

9. POWER PLUG. Another downside. The lack of a MagSafe power plug is making me nervous as my kids (and dog) frequently tripped over the power cord as it tore away from my MBP 2012...which always survived fine with the MagSafe. Now, with a VERY tight USB-C power connector plug, I'm afraid my laptop may not survive a trip over the cord in the future. Again, I think Apple discontinued the MagSafe because of issues with connectivity, but I'd prefer it again over this USB-C power connection.

10. BATTERY LIFE. About the same as my MBP 2012. A full charge says just over 3 hours which is about what I got from using the battery from 100% down to 10%. I was simply working on documents, doing a little downloading of application updates and transferring files. I did NOT play any videos or music, nor did I do any graphics work which would have triggered the Radeon card to kick in and use more juice. Rather, the Intel HD graphics stayed on the entire time. Bottom line: I expect 2 hours to be the span if doing any heavy video editing or graphics work using battery power.

11. TRACKPAD. Aside from the bug with the 3 finger drag feature, the new trackpad does feel different than the old models. It is also MUCH larger (about twice the size) of the 2012 MBP. The force touch is not as intuitive but I'm sure I can get used to it. I did have to disable the Force Click and haptic feedback option in preferences as it made it very difficult to click and drag things around on the desktop and into the dock.

12. VALUE. Some would scoff at the price tag for what you get. For me, I live and breathe on this machine to do my work so for me it was worth the extra money. I use a Windows Dell laptop at work and of course prefer MacOS any day and this laptop takes full advantage of the new features in Sierra. Yes, I could buy two Dells for the price of this MBP but I waste a lot of time with driver conflicts, crashing, incompatible utilities, and frequent lockups with Windows 7 Pro (we aren't allowed to use Win10 at my office yet).

CONCLUSION: I like this better overall than the 2012 model (not counting the improved processing power of course). But, I'm not sure I can honestly say that I "love" it better. It truly is an upgrade worthy of making if you do graphics work like myself, but it will be more difficult to move the laptop from my home to office with the lack of the legacy connection ports. I'll have to buy additional dongles for each location if I don't want to gather them up and get a larger laptop sleeve/bag.

MacBook Pro, iOS 10.1.1, MacBook Pro 15 with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 16, 2016 12:17 PM

15 replies

Nov 20, 2016 7:13 AM in response to janericster

This is a very accurate and perceptive review. Got my 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar Thursday evening.

• Same issues with 3-finger drag
  • Other issues with trackpad. I think it needs to be tuned; will probably be mostly fixed in the next few OS updates. Palm rejection tweaks may be the reason. My set-up (requiring editing a pref file) is 3-finger drag with drag lock along with tap-to-click. Sometimes 2-finger pinch to zoom needs fingers to be quite a bit apart before it works right
  • Power button only does (1) Touch ID, (2) Power on or wake from sleep, (3) Force complete power off if held for several seconds. It does not bring up the sleep/hibernate/shut down dialog that the old Mac power button did. In this way, it is very much more like the power button on iPhones and iPads. I wih it went back to the old behavior. including sleeping just the screen with shift-control-power (or shift-control-eject)
  • Never had any trouble with the 12 inch MacBook's keyboard. This new one is better; I like it very much
  • Battery life is meh; much less than expected
  • Touch bar is already helpful to me. Kudos to 1Password for getting their software compatible immediately! Looking forward to Microsoft Office and OmniFocus gaining Touch Bar support

Nov 20, 2016 9:33 AM in response to Linda Custer

Re: the 3 finger drag...I submitted a bug report to Apple a few days ago about this issue. They are acknowledging that it is definitely a glitch when the 3 fingers are not positioned in just the right way. In other words, if you have the fingers spread apart too much, it may fail. If you rotate your hand position so that the fingers are at a certain angle on the trackpad, it can fail. The dragging also can stop working if you go back and forth between the trackpad and certain pen/tablets (I have a Wacom Intuos and it fails to function when I return to the trackpad).

Hopefully they can adjust and fix this quickly in the next macOS update as it is very frustrating.

Note that the above works perfectly on a 2012 MacBook Pro using the same macOS build.

Dec 19, 2016 10:03 AM in response to janericster

I know this may be an old topic, but I just noticed it as I now have a new 13" 2016 MacBook Pro w/ Touchbar. Having come from a MacBook Air where 3-finger drag was far and away my most common gesture I have been very frustrated that the operation on the the MBP was inconsistent. So I just spend an hour with Apple Support. The answer: "The feature was only intended for and designed for moving windows around. It as never intended for use within a window to do something like select text." This was according to what seemed like level 3 support - the people who back up the people who answer the phone. The person pointed me to the following article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204609

Bottom line - According to Mike at Apple Support, the capability so many of us enjoyed on our MacBook Airs for the past few years was not supposed to work that way. So, if you are on the latest firmware (which I am) and have all the correct options set (which I do according to the Apple support people) and it still doesn't provide the functionality that was available on your prior system (for me a MacBook Air), and in my case it still doesn't work, then you are screwed. There is no fix coming. There is no answer. According to Apple, the way so many of us have been using it was never supposed to work that way. (Even though it was an Apple store employee who showed me how it worked to select text, draw objects, etc. on my MacBook Air.)

I know this is an old topic but I want to be sure that people know what they are getting if they buy one of these MacBook Pros. Had I known, I would not have purchased it. And since Apple strung me along with non-solutions to the problem I am passed the 14-day window and unable to return this MacBook Pro to get my money back so I can revert to my older MacBook Air which worked the way I liked.

Dec 19, 2016 11:15 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

That was not the answer I got from the Apple Store. Rather, it was, "Oh, Man. This is too bad. You are 2 days over the 14-day period in which case we could have merely exchanged it to see if a different one worked better." And when I was on the phone with Apple Support this morning (BTW, I do have Apple Care) they offered nothing at all. Nothing. It was, "Sorry, but it works the way it was intended/documented."

What I really want is for them to make the new MacBook Pro retain the functionality that so many people used on their MacBook Airs and which, BTW, continues to work find if I use a Magic Trackpad. The problem is with the implementation of the Force Touch Pad.

Dec 19, 2016 11:52 AM in response to drhiggins

drhiggins wrote:

And since Apple strung me along with non-solutions to the problem I am passed the 14-day window and unable to return this MacBook Pro to get my money back so I can revert to my older MacBook Air which worked the way I liked.

As alluded to above—

Holiday Return Policy

Items purchased at the Apple Online Store that are received between November 10, 2016 and December 25, 2016, may be returned through January 8, 2017. Please note that all other terms and conditions provided in the Apple Online Store Sales and Refunds Policy are still applicable with respect to such items purchased. All purchases made after December 25, 2016 are subject to the Standard Return Policy.

ref: http://www.apple.com/shop/help/returns_refund

Dec 19, 2016 1:18 PM in response to drhiggins

Let me add some GOOD NEWS re: the 3-finger drag issue...

I reported this as a bug to Apple upon first getting my new MacBook Pro with touch bar. I am using the public beta of Sierra macOS and so I received an immediate response through the beta reporter via email. The Apple tech said that they were aware of this bug and will be fixing it in an upcoming beta build. That was about 3 weeks ago.

I can happily report that as of the current public beta (10.12.3 Beta 1), the 3 finger drag is working almost flawlessly. Not only to drag windows around the screen, but also to drag objects within an app (like Adobe Illustrator), or to select and drag some text to another location (like Microsoft Word).

So there may not be any urgency or need to return your new MacBook pros as this is a software issue that they are fixing.

Dec 19, 2016 1:33 PM in response to janericster

That would be awesome news! I also wanted to let everyone know that I don't have this problem with my Magic Trackpad 2. All of the gesture functionality I had on my MacBook Air works fine on the new MacBook Pro w/ Touchbar when I am using the BT connected Magic Trackpad 2. So the issues are clearly associated with the new Force Touch Pad. This also suggests that the prior guidance I had received from support that our use of 3-finger drag to select text, etc was not supported and not intended would be wrong. If it works with the Magic TrackPad it durn sure better work with the track pad on the MacBook Pro.

Dec 19, 2016 1:54 PM in response to janericster

Also, I just finished a second call with Apple support to explain that the 3-finger drag functionality was working flawlessly on my BT Magic Trackpad - and I got a very different story than this morning. The person I just spoke with confirmed that the functionality should work as it has in the past and that they are working on a fix and that something is in 10.12.3 to address it as you pointed out, Jane. I hesitate to use beta versions but if I know something is coming I can just deal with it until the fix is out. What had really ticked me off this morning was the suggesting, by the Apple Support person I spoke with, that the 3-finger drag was only intended for moving windows around on the desktop and therefore the problems with selecting text, etc. were not an issue and would not be fixed. Clearly that person was mistaken! Phew! For now I'll just carry my Magic Trackpad along with all my dongles. 😉

MBP 15" 2016 with touch bar - FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.