Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I have 2 icloud drives on my PC with exactly the same files?

I was wondering why I have two icloud drives on my PC. See attached picture.

Thanks,

RussUser uploaded file

null-OTHER, Windows 10, Laptop PC

Posted on Nov 16, 2016 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2017 11:48 PM

Someone needs to delete Braden85...and that post. I was luckier than the OP and knew ahead of time that the folders are both active, and one is not a rogue/unlinked copy.

iCloud system tray icon links to iCloudDrive and when it does that, it magically creates a new node in Windows Explorer JUST for the mis-named and mis-coded folder. It seems likely that Apple intended to pass a variable with the same name as the iCloud Drive folder name to Windows Explorer but forgot to update the spelling across multiple instances of the iCloud Drive routine being called, or something to that effect. Point is, both are active and one of them only appears when launching Explorer from the link given upon clicking the notification icon. The iCloud Drive folder links to the same folder as iCloudDrive folder. If you delete one, you delete both.

@Apple: look at my Imgur gallery, and fix your code:

https://imgur.com/a/fJUHV

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2017 11:48 PM in response to russellfromfort worth

Someone needs to delete Braden85...and that post. I was luckier than the OP and knew ahead of time that the folders are both active, and one is not a rogue/unlinked copy.

iCloud system tray icon links to iCloudDrive and when it does that, it magically creates a new node in Windows Explorer JUST for the mis-named and mis-coded folder. It seems likely that Apple intended to pass a variable with the same name as the iCloud Drive folder name to Windows Explorer but forgot to update the spelling across multiple instances of the iCloud Drive routine being called, or something to that effect. Point is, both are active and one of them only appears when launching Explorer from the link given upon clicking the notification icon. The iCloud Drive folder links to the same folder as iCloudDrive folder. If you delete one, you delete both.

@Apple: look at my Imgur gallery, and fix your code:

https://imgur.com/a/fJUHV

Jan 29, 2017 11:20 PM in response to braden85

I am having this problem as well and still can't find a solution, however, I read this post and thought I would add my two cents regarding your (braden85)'s suggestion.

Mainly, this advice should not be recommended to anyone in the future.

Secondly, for explanation of my above point, the OP ended up with all of their iCloud Drive contents deleted -local versions for sure, but good chance it mirrors across devices (that is the point after all).

Lastly, you stated that the folder labeled "iCloud Drive" was the "correct" one and the "iCloudDrive" was somehow a rogue folder that could be deleted. I did some investigating and found out some interesting things. Looking at the path for both folders, I found they both pointed to the same place; however, there is only a single instance of the iCloud Drive there and it is labeled as such, "iCloud Drive."

BUT...

If, instead of navigating to the iCloud Drive folder via the path you are shown in Windows Explorer, you go through the icloud system tray icon by clicking on the link titled "Open iCloud Drive" (yes, the space is there in the link title), you are taken to, magically, the folder called "iCloudDrive." From there, if you want to get your bearings (spoiler alert, doesn't happen), you can use the Windows navigation buttons to go up a directory where you will find the "iCloudDrive" folder has been renamed to "iCloud Drive." If, from that current location, you enter that newly-renamed folder, you will find the name stays "iCloud Drive" and "iCloudDrive" is nowhere to be found.

Clearly the two folders are inextricably linked somehow in a parallel dimension involving a mesh of space-time, but unfortunately, all of these observations have yet to lead to a real solution.

......since I noticed this about 2 hours ago, though, I won't beat myself up and all hope is not lost...YET!

Nov 17, 2016 7:47 PM in response to russellfromfort worth

Hi russellfromfort worth,

I understand your issue to be that you have two iCloud Drive folders on your PC and you wanted to know why you have two. I certainly see why you would ask that question because we know that saving the same information in two folders is just taking up space but you have come to the right place for a solution.

It looks as if one of the iCloud Drive folders was either created or renamed. As you can see the difference in how they were named. The first one is iCloud Drive but the second one is iCloudDrive.The first one (iCloud Drive) is the correct one so make sure all the same files are in both and you can delete the second (iCloudDrive)

Let us know the outcome.

Cheers!

Why do I have 2 icloud drives on my PC with exactly the same files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.