Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac [Sierra] recover Bootcamp [Windows 10] through VHD

Recently using Windows' built in restore from image is failing for me when restoring from a recent image I have. Which leaves in a bit of a sticky situation where I can't boot into Bootcamp [windows] anymore. Fortunately the Windows image backup creates vhd files which allows me to get to the data. However, what I'm hoping to be able to do is take all the contents of the vhd and restore it on Windows C partition so that I can get back Windows in the state I had it at the time of the backup.

What I'm thinking is the following:

1) Re-install Bootcamp [Windows 10]

Going through this process will fix the boot partitions so that I don't have to do it manually

2) Get the vhd file in a format that I can just use a utility to then copy it's contents on to the new C drive

Anyone know what I can use to accomplish this ?

I'd appreciate if someone which some more experience and review and let me know their thoughts on how to do this.

Posted on Nov 16, 2016 9:01 PM

8 replies

Nov 17, 2016 7:37 AM in response to Loner T

@Loner T, when I restore using the Windows generated image I get a "the system image restore failed" about 95% of the way through the restore process. Using the repair tools of Windows no longer helps, I read some places where this is an issue with having other USB devices attached but in my case that is not the issue.

So this basically leaves me with the Windows generated image which has the VHD, which appears to be intact with all the data, but a Bootcamp system that is not booting.

It's all on the same Mac, I have lots of applications installed which is why I'm looking for a process to restore the VHD to get Windows in the same state as it was before.

Nov 17, 2016 9:14 AM in response to Loner T

@Loner T, I do have a recent File History which I did before I took a backup with Windows Backup.

I did a new install of Windows 10 Pro, keep the partitions as is, installed Windows using Drive 0 Partition 4. So at this point I have a new Bootcamp partition and Windows and can boot to it just fine.

Like you said at this point I need a utility that can take the contents of the VHD (from the Windows backup) and move it over to the new install C drive.

The problem with those Windows utilities is that you have to be in Windows to run them which I don't think will work because some of the files will be locked and it won't work.

Can't I just boot into something like an Ubuntu (using live USB) and mount the VHD and the Windows Bootcamp partition. Delete all the files of the Windows Bootcamp partition and then use rsync to copy contents of the VHD to the Bootcamp partition ? Or am I way off here in my logic ?

Nov 17, 2016 11:15 PM in response to Loner T

@Loner T,

Holy crap, I've done it, lol, thanks for the moral support. I somehow was right on track with my logic. The system all 130 Gigs of it is back to it's pristine condition at the time of the image, with applications and data intact almost like magic. I took the vhd and used dd to transfer it's contents on to the bootcamp partition.

Mac [Sierra] recover Bootcamp [Windows 10] through VHD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.