Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

createinstallmedia: command not found

My OS now is Sierra, I want to create a bootable installer for "EI Captian".

I use the command below, and it turns out "sudo: /Applications/Install OS X EICaptian.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found".

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ EI\Captian.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Captian --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ EI\Captian.app --nointeraction

The same happened when I intend to create a bootable installer for "Sierra". (Once I thought it may not be allowed to create a lower version OS installer on a higher OS ?! )

So, how can I solve it?! I want to create a bootable installer on my "Sierra".

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)

Posted on Nov 17, 2016 4:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2017 6:39 PM

Hi,

My apologies for not specifying that command. Type this in a terminal window:

sudo chmod u+x /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia

22 replies

Nov 17, 2016 7:23 PM in response to keg55

Thank you very very very much for your answer! I just realized what a stupid mistake I have made... (>_<||)

But, I still get the same error when I followed your addvice?!!!

My volume is named Capitan. My "Capitan" is right in the "Application Floder" and named "Install OS X EI Capitan".

User uploaded file

I coped the command of yours.

User uploaded file

Still, not right. I just don't konw what's wrong with it... - -

May 12, 2017 1:38 AM in response to grero

Hi, I'm running macOS Sierra (macbook pro) and want to create a usb boot with Mavericks.

Mavericks.app is under the application folder.

Sudo / Applications / Install \ OS \ X \ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume / Volumes / MyVolume --applicationpath / Applications / Install \ OS \ X \ Mavericks.app

But gets error "command not found"

May 13, 2017 6:04 AM in response to Jorge-RR

Sudo / Applications / Install \ OS \ X \ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume / Volumes / MyVolume --applicationpath / Applications / Install \ OS \ X \ Mavericks.app

If that is the exact command you used, then it will fail as you have put spaces in front of every escape character (\)

There should be no space before the escape character ( \ )

If you copy and paste from the link I posted above, it will be formatted correctly.

Nov 17, 2016 7:08 AM in response to Midori2

You have El\Captian in your sudo command instead of El\ Capitan with a space after the \. Just fix those 2 misspellings/spacing and try again. Make sure El is E L not E I(eye).

Yours:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ EI\Captian.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Captian --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ EI\Captian.app --nointeraction

Should be:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Capitan --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

For Sierra it should be (make sure your external volume name is Sierra for the following to work):

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Sierra --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

Nov 18, 2016 6:26 AM in response to keg55

Are you trying to do this locally or remotely?

Your screenshot of your Terminal command looks like you're using ssh remotely. If that's the case, make sure the Install OS X El Capitan.app file is in the remote Mac's /Applications folder and spelled correctly. I have always created these locally.

createinstallmedia: command not found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.