Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: MacBook Pro late 2016 three finger drag issue

Not sure if this is a general problem with MacBook Pro late 2016 or just my machine is having this problem. Try to enable three finger drag on it and do a 3 finger drag gesture on bottom left of the trackpad, there are 40% chance that it's wrongly detected as secondary click. Sometimes it failed to detect 3 finger drag at the middle of the trackpad as well.. this is really annoying as this is one of the most used gesture on a computer...

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 20, 2016 6:32 AM in response to darrenchiusw In response to darrenchiusw

SOLUTION (temporary):

Hi everyone--I have been having this problem. One way to ensure that you can drag is to hold your three fingers together when you drag (i.e. don't spread your fingers out). It has helped on machine.

I know that this has been frustrating to everyone. At least this solution will temporarily alleviate some of that frustration. At least this goes to confirming that this is a software and not a hardware issue.

Nov 29, 2016 11:32 AM in response to darrenchiusw In response to darrenchiusw

It's definitely caused by the palm rejection.

If your fingers "look like a palm" when you start dragging, the problem will occur.

• Make a 45-degree clockwise angle and start on the left side.
  • Make a 45-degree counter-clockwise angle and start on the right side.

To workaround the problem you can:

• Start dragging on the right side with your right hand.
  • Start dragging on the left side with your left hand.
  • Make your fingers perfectly horizontal.
  • Touch the trackpad with your other palm first.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Nov 18, 2016 7:46 AM in response to cunseth In response to cunseth

In fact, I think this happen to all late-2016 MacBook Pro. I have check for a few machines in local reseller and apple stores in Hong Kong, all of them got the same issue. And this happen to both touch-bar or basic model. MacBook 12" or the MacBook Air doesn't have this issue. Think we should really raise this to Apple as this is really annoying....

Nov 18, 2016 7:46 AM

Reply Helpful (3)

Nov 18, 2016 2:21 PM in response to darrenchiusw In response to darrenchiusw

I have this problem too. Seems like more of a software problem than a hardware one. Some users on Macrumors speculate that it may something to do with the palm rejection. Hopefully Apple releases a patch soon.

Nov 18, 2016 2:21 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Nov 19, 2016 5:00 PM in response to darrenchiusw In response to darrenchiusw

I am also having this problem with my 13in. macbook pro w/ touchbar. Just bought it two days ago and noticed also that the 3 finger swipe gesture does does not register sometimes and even with multiple tries, I can't seem to switch desktops. I was wondering whether to go back to the apple store and ask about this?

Nov 19, 2016 5:00 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 19, 2016 9:10 PM in response to Digitol In response to Digitol

Third try is a charm? Hopefully the filter will no longer block access to this.

Well thought out write up of the many disadvantages, and problems with the new macbook pro if the link doesn't post search OWC Blog and you will find it.

http://bit.ly/2eSMIWe

Nov 19, 2016 9:10 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 20, 2016 12:03 AM in response to darrenchiusw In response to darrenchiusw

I thought maybe it was just me, glad to see some articles coming out now related to this problem. I use the gesture all the time so I noticed a problem right away. I'm okay with dongles, over pricing and last gen CPUs but I use this gesture all the time so I need it to work. I have the 15" model.

Nov 20, 2016 12:03 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 20, 2016 6:32 AM in response to darrenchiusw In response to darrenchiusw

SOLUTION (temporary):

Hi everyone--I have been having this problem. One way to ensure that you can drag is to hold your three fingers together when you drag (i.e. don't spread your fingers out). It has helped on machine.

I know that this has been frustrating to everyone. At least this solution will temporarily alleviate some of that frustration. At least this goes to confirming that this is a software and not a hardware issue.

Nov 20, 2016 6:32 AM

Reply Helpful (16)

Nov 20, 2016 2:28 PM in response to darrenchiusw In response to darrenchiusw

This is ridiculous. point being on previous MacBook pros this feature JUST WORKED. Shouldn't have to use work arounds etc. especially for new equipment. It really is like the "your holding it wrong" argument all over again. There is clearly an issue here. We should demand better of Apple otherwise improvement will never happen. When you buy something new if should work 100%. No question. When you bought your MacBook Pro did you pay the full amount or just sort of the amount? Would Apple allow you to leave the store only paying sorta the total. Right.:)

Nov 20, 2016 2:28 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: darrenchiusw

Question: MacBook Pro late 2016 three finger drag issue