Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is account information stored for Mail (v10)

I am importing my mail accounts by hand as I want to have an absolute clean install. I found the mail boxes etc but can not find where mail has stored the information of my ISP accounts.

Meaning everything that normally shows up here:

User uploaded file

I have imported the keychain files and the work fine everywhere else. So that part is covered. The mailboxes are not important as all accounts are empty (do not store mail on the computer). As you see they are POP accounts in case it matters.

I am Importing Mail from a MBP running 10.12 (Sierra) to the new one also running 10.12. There is a V4 and a V2 file in the mail folder (/Users/x/Library/Mail), and the V2 file has an Accounts.plist in the MailData folder, but is otherwise empty (previously moved direct from 10.9 to 10.12 so skipped the V3 bit).

Does anybody know how to do this, what file to move? Where does it hide this information?

Posted on Nov 19, 2016 1:12 AM

16 replies

Nov 19, 2016 6:32 AM in response to ChangeAgent

You don't need the V2 folder. It is a leftover from the others. If you set up accounts from scratch, it is not created.

Best I can determine, the account information is stored in the sanboxed Container for Mail, but it is in no way similar to the old plist. Each account is now given a unique ID instead of the old pop@emai.address format.

You should just create the accounts from scratch and import the locally stored messages from your backup.

Nov 19, 2016 8:23 AM in response to ChangeAgent

Thanks for the additional explanation. What you need to do is to also copy the ~/Library/Accounts folder.

Like Mail's V4 format and its predecessors, it also contains sqlite "accounts4" files and its predecessors. If yours contains accounts2.sqlite files they can probably be deleted after eventually transferring your Mail account information and all your messages.

That, and the additional information in your other Discussion should at least help accomplish what you seek. There may be an additional Mail Preferences file that would also need to be moved. As you know Mail performs a lot of conversion activity when upgrading macOS.

Where is account information stored for Mail (v10)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.