Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2016 Double typing

I just got my new MacBook Pro 15" (2016 model). When I type either the letter 'w' or 'i', there's roughly a 50% chance that it will double type that letter. The letter 'i' is much worse than the 'w'. It makes touch typing impossible at any kind of speed since I have to backspace all the time to correct the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this with their new MacBooks?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10.1.1, Double letters.

Posted on Nov 19, 2016 9:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2017 8:44 PM

I'm having the same trouble. I've had my entire Macbook Pro 2016 replaced three weeks after I received it - it wouldn't keep a charge and completely died. After 25 years of owning Macs, this is the first model I've ever had problems with. First that, now it's double typing "b" and "h"... plus there's a popping sound coming from the back of the computer and it overheats more than any computer I've ever owned. Very disappointed with this model. I'll be heading to the Genius Bar as soon as my schedule allows.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2017 8:44 PM in response to SJGillW

I'm having the same trouble. I've had my entire Macbook Pro 2016 replaced three weeks after I received it - it wouldn't keep a charge and completely died. After 25 years of owning Macs, this is the first model I've ever had problems with. First that, now it's double typing "b" and "h"... plus there's a popping sound coming from the back of the computer and it overheats more than any computer I've ever owned. Very disappointed with this model. I'll be heading to the Genius Bar as soon as my schedule allows.

Jun 14, 2017 3:03 AM in response to SJGillW

Guys! I think I've come with a solution. I had the same issue with "b" double-typing and this problem with butterfly keyboard and other seems to be related. Before that, I had an opposite situation when my "b" button stopped working and in both cases it can be solved in two ways:
1. (Stupid one) Click your problem button a few hundred times. It's not a joke, it's just a slow version of the second option and it makes the same thing — cleans a button groove from dirt.
2. Take a razor or something sharp enough and scrape button sides. Clean every edge around the button both from sides of metal body and the button itself.

This is due to the fact that the new keyboard has very small gaps between the body and the buttons that clog up and prevent them from functioning normally. I hope I could help you with this information!

Apr 8, 2017 2:19 AM in response to SJGillW

I had exactly the same problem with 'I' key that if I press once it used to register twice like 'ii'.

I luckily fixed this by pressing option key 5 times.

I have no idea how this fixed my problem and this solution was actually found in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxSo1xnxL_k by a commenter name Dave Delor.

Not everyone got fixed with this method but it seems like some people like myself got it worked.

Try it and let me know if anyone got also fixed!!

MacBook Pro 2016 Double typing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.