Related Article: Check your Apple ID device list to find where you're signed in

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up old iPad 2. Entered ID. Won't accept password. How to reset?

In attempting to setup an old iPad that I had deleted all apps and taken back to the Hello prompt, it has stuck at the pass word prompt and will not accept the password for my apple ID. This iPad 2 is no longer listed in my I Apple account. As I was planning to give the device to a another child, I wanted to update the iOS before giving it away. But after entering my Apple ID it will not accept any password or passcode that i have used with that Apple ID. Each attempt to try now has me locked out an hour or more. If I can clear the device and get back to setup, I would enter a NEW Apple ID instead of my old Apple ID which is now attached to my iPad Air 2. Any help would be much appreciated.

Either get me past the password prompt or a complete erase and reset once again. Thanks.

iPad 2, iOS 8.4.1, I am not sure the iOS

Posted on Nov 19, 2016 8:14 PM

1 reply

Nov 20, 2016 12:07 PM in response to bcooper2015

Hi bcooper2015,

I understand that you've erased your old iPad, but you're seeing a login screen during setup that you're unable to get past. I know it's important to have access to all of your devices, so I'm happy to help.

What you are seeing is Find my iPhone Activation Lock, a security feature to prevent unauthorized users from accessing your device. Check out the steps necessary to unlock the iPad in this article:

Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

If the device is erased

Ask the previous owner to enter their Apple ID and password on the Activation Lock screen to remove the device from their account.

If the previous owner isn't present, contact them and ask them to follow these steps to remove the device from their account:

1. Sign in to iCloud.com with their Apple ID.
  2. Go to Find My iPhone.
  3. Select All Devices to open a list of devices linked to their account, then select the device to be removed.
  4. Click Remove from Account.

After the previous owner removes the device from their account, turn off the device and then turn it back on to begin the setup process.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Setting up old iPad 2. Entered ID. Won't accept password. How to reset?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.