Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Avalon 737

Hey Logic friends,
I just purchased a Avalon 737, and I really do like it, but I was looking for such a huge difference coming from a FocusriteVoiceMaster Pro. I'm using a Neumann TLM 103. Do you think it's because I'm using the dreaded M-box that I'm not hearing a huge difference in my vocal recordings. I plan to purchase the Apogee Ensemble, do you think I would hear a tremendous difference then?

Thx.....

G5, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Dec 17, 2006 9:22 PM

16 replies

Dec 18, 2006 10:08 AM in response to Isaac Jean

I have a TLM103 and use it on just about all vocals. It's a great mic for the money.

With the Mbox, you won't be able to hear the depth and imaging improvements without some sort of upgrade.

If you can spring for an Apogee Rosetta 200 and use the s/pdif input with the Apogee clock, you will hear a world of difference.

I personally would have recommended the Apogee upgrade before the VoicemasterPro, which is at least a decent, if not excellent preamp.

Dec 18, 2006 11:09 AM in response to lwilliam

Voice Master Pro isn't a bad piece of hardware at all.
It has very good preamp which can add nice warmth and character.
It's compressor has only two fixed ratios, but they are suitable.
That said, I love Avalon too.

The Rosettta200 for M-Box replacement will be your desired improvement.

the difference between VmPro and Avalon 737 will be the "difference" much more the term of taste and less in the term of "quality" .

Dec 18, 2006 12:05 PM in response to Isaac Jean

You don't mention the style of vocals you're recording, or the type of sound you're looking for. The VM Pro is actually quite nice IMO, and although the 737 is OK too, personally I prefer the results I've got with an LA-610 for some rock vocals. But I also like the Grace and Vintech pres too… it really depends on what you're looking for, the mic used and more than anything, the singer's natural sound - it's all personal taste. I'm not a huge fan of 'all-in-one' boxes like the 737- I'd rather tailor-make a chain to suit the particular session for flexibility.

I agree that an improvement in the interface will yield better clarity but although I suspect you'll hear quite a dramatic difference with an Ensemble, your microphone choice will make the most immediate differences. I use everything from a vintage Neumann U47, Rode, 414 or a lowly Audix - depends on the song, the singer and what sound you're looking for.

Dec 18, 2006 6:19 PM in response to John Alcock

I'm recoding Rap/HipHop, pop, RnB, Rock, and Dance/House. So you see I'm doing everything except country (which I don't mind). I wonder if I'm asking for too much, when I listen to the radio, and I feel I want my vocals to sound exactly like that. I know they go through million dollar equipment, but I want to get as close as possible. Once I upgrade my interface to the apogee, upgrade my mic to a U87. I hope I'm satisfied with vocals.

Thx for the response

Dec 18, 2006 6:32 PM in response to Isaac Jean

well some go thru' an MboX 2 and a shure for $ dollars. You've already done the best you can. The Avalon is truly GREAT.... The MbOx dont have the greatest converters out there and apogee are great. That said.

Dont 4get though, you can have billion dollar equip. and not get a great result if you use the wrong mic technique and have a bad vocalist. You can save your self 1000 of dollars of eq and plugs just by placing the mic the right way...

And remember - The right mic for the instrument or voice... One mic for everything just wont cut it. A condenser like the neumann you have is great - but it will record a bird farting a mile away - thus also capture every thing you dont wanna have on the recording like throat noise and excessive hissss sounds etc. A dynamic mic like shure sm 57 or 58 are great - Madonna records a lot with shures.... e.g. she has like almost a sinus voice and recording that thru a condenser would render her voice very squeaky where the dynamic mic tend to rough it up a bit.

Most dealers let you borrow a mic for a day if you plan on purchasing one so I suggest that you go there and try a bunch of em and then see if you get the sound you wanna have - Seriously - IT IS ALL ABOUT THE RIGHT MIC CHOICE...

Good Luck

Dec 19, 2006 9:50 AM in response to Isaac Jean

I know they go through million dollar equipment

No, they don't - not always. Sometimes a $100 dynamic mic going in to a $100 Presonus pre is exactly the right sound for some singers/songs.

As you're recording a variety of music, with many singers, I'd suggest you consider more flexible combinations of mics and pres/comps to have more tools at your fingertips.

Avalon 737

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.