Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drive seen by disk utility but not by Finder

My external hard drive can be seen by Disk Utility but not by Finder. Also, desk utility says the hard drive is full. I have tried this hard drive on both Windows computers and other Macs, neither of which had any issues accessing the files. I also have another external hard drive that I use for the Time Machine, and it can be seen by both Finder and Disk Utility.

Hoping someone on here can help me!!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Nov 20, 2016 12:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2016 6:28 AM

I had the same issue.

The solution is to go into disk utility and click 'mount' for each partition that is not showing up in Finder.

16 replies

Nov 11, 2017 12:48 PM in response to libertyfrommelbourne

I had the same problem with more that one external USB drives. I tried the SMC reset to no avail.

Here's what did it for me.

Make sure that the Finder Preference menu shows that Drives, etc. are shown on the Desktop. Then drag the disk icon of the problem drive from the Desktop onto the side bar of the finder.

Don't know why this works but things seem to be normal afterwards.

Nov 10, 2017 4:37 PM in response to John Galt

I had the same problem with more that one external USB drives. I tried the SMC reset to no avail.

Here's what did it for me.

Make sure that the Finder Preference menu shows that Drives, etc. are shown on the Desktop. Then drag the disk icon of the problem drive from the Desktop onto the side bar of the finder.

Don't know why this works but things seem to be normal afterwards.

Nov 25, 2016 10:08 AM in response to libertyfrommelbourne

It shouldn't matter. When I had that problem I disconnected the USB hard disk drive before performing the SMC Reset, so that's what I would do. It was only necessary to do it once, after that external hard disk drives reappeared every time.

You can connect it before starting your Mac, or after restarting it and logging in. That definitely doesn't matter.

External Hard Drive seen by disk utility but not by Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.