Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 15 2016 can not pinch to zoom using trackpad

Sometimes, when browsing web using Safari or photos using Photos, I find that I can't pinch to zoom. However, other gestures work fine.

If I go to system preference close and reopen "pinch to zoom" gesture, it works again.

This happens so often and really annoying.

Hope it could be fixed ASAP.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS Sierra (10.12.1), null

Posted on Nov 21, 2016 7:50 PM

17 replies

Mar 27, 2017 6:19 AM in response to zhangyidak

Looking for a fix to this issue as well. MacBook Pro 2016 with macOS Sierra 10.12.3. I cannot figure out a specific set of actions that lead to pinch-to-zoom not working but it happens a few times a day. To fix, I have to go to settings and untick, then tick "Pinch to zoom." Resetting PRAM seems to make the problem go away for a few days but then it comes back.

Apr 28, 2017 1:03 PM in response to jdjurado

I have exactly the same issue on my MacBook Pro 13" 2016 (3.3GHz i7).

It is really annoying and as mentioned above it can be fixed by unchecking pinch-to-zoom checkbox in trackpad preferences and then checking it again. But I have to leave the settings in between.

It happens several times a day without re-creating a particular workflow to make it happen.

Anyone an idea?

Jul 14, 2017 9:03 AM in response to zhangyidak

I've got the same problem for months and was unfortunately not able to solve it. I would appreciate an answer or better a patch from Apple fixing this problem as it seems the only reasonable solution. New features on macOS with a yearly major release seem to be a nice idea but they are useless and annoying if they generate only new problems. "It just works" should be Apple's highest priority again, everything else is secondary…

Jul 16, 2017 4:28 AM in response to zhangyidak

I too have Magnet installed. Come to think about it, the problem started happening around the same time I installed Magnet.

It makes complete sense that this could be the problem as they are both associated with screen control.

I will uninstall Magnet and post back.

I hope if this proves to be the problem, a patch is released. I like Magnet. I also like pinch zoom!

Nov 22, 2016 3:42 PM in response to zhangyidak

Hi zhangyidak!

I see that you're unable to use the zoom gesture in Safari and Photos, and I'm happy to help. For the purpose of isolating this issue further, please start the Mac in safe mode to see if you're able to use the zoom gesture while the Mac is in safe mode.

Try safe mode if your Mac doesn‘t finish starting up

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Nov 24, 2016 1:37 PM in response to zhangyidak

Since it was working correctly in safe mode, we should next try disabling your login items. It's possible that one or more of your login items are preventing the gestures from working correctly. You will see instructions on disabling login items at the following link:

macOS Sierra: Open items automatically when you log in

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

MacBook Pro 15 2016 can not pinch to zoom using trackpad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.