Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Keyboard and Mouse not working after sleep

Hi,

Upon resuming from sleep mode, my macbook often disables the on-board/built-in keyboard and trackpad. This means I cannot login to my profile. If I utilize an external peripheral (i.e. a keyboard) I then am able to re-gain use of the built-in keyboard and trackpad.

I have already attempted resetting the SMC and PRAM to no avail. I'd like to avoid reformatting/re-installing the OS if possible.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Some system information:

1. MacBook Pro (Retina, 13", Early 2015)
  2. MacOS Sierra v10.12.1
  3. 3.1GHz i7, 16GB of RAM, and Intel Iris 6100.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.1), MacBook Pro 13" Early-2015

Posted on Nov 22, 2016 11:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2016 1:16 PM

Hello JollyGr33nGiant,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that there are issues with your keyboard not being recognized after waking from sleep. Let's test the issue after restarting into safe mode. See the following article for the steps: macOS Sierra: Start up in safe mode

Try to duplicate the issues while booted in safe mode.

If the issue doesn't happen when your Mac is started in safe mode, try restarting without pressing any keys.

• If the issue comes back, you might have incompatible login items.
  • If the issue doesn't come back, it was probably caused by a cache or directory issue with your startup disk, which safe mode fixed.
After checking for incompatible items, try restarting normally and test again.

If you continue to have issues, get back with us and we will go from there

Best regards.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2016 1:16 PM in response to JollyGr33nGiant

Hello JollyGr33nGiant,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that there are issues with your keyboard not being recognized after waking from sleep. Let's test the issue after restarting into safe mode. See the following article for the steps: macOS Sierra: Start up in safe mode

Try to duplicate the issues while booted in safe mode.

If the issue doesn't happen when your Mac is started in safe mode, try restarting without pressing any keys.

• If the issue comes back, you might have incompatible login items.
  • If the issue doesn't come back, it was probably caused by a cache or directory issue with your startup disk, which safe mode fixed.
After checking for incompatible items, try restarting normally and test again.

If you continue to have issues, get back with us and we will go from there

Best regards.

Nov 23, 2016 1:16 PM in response to sterling r

Hi Sterling,

It appears that the native keyboard/trackpad are no longer recognized after logging in. I have attempted to start the Mac in safe mode, with no luck. It appears that the external keyboard is only recognized after the chime and at that point it is too late to boot in safe mode.

I checked for incompatible login items, removing them all, but still seeing the same issue.

What I recently noticed, upon logging in, is that the MacBook's screen flickers horizontal black lines (of different widths) across the entirety of the screen. It then flashes white a few times before returning to normal. I have access to all my files and can use the mac like normal, without the use of the built-in keyboard/trackpad.

At this point I am not sure what else to say... Thanks for your assistance. Any further input is much appreciated!

MacBook Pro Keyboard and Mouse not working after sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.