Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sierra produces corrupt pdf files

A colleague just bought a new Mac with 10.12. The pdf files he creates, eg from Safari, all contain invalid pdf.

Running ps2pdf on them says:

**** Warning: considering '0000000000 XXXXX n' as a free entry.

**** Warning: considering '0000000000 XXXXX n' as a free entry.

**** This file had errors that were repaired or ignored.

**** The file was produced by:

**** >>>> Mac OS X 10.12 Quartz PDFContext <<<<

**** Please notify the author of the software that produced this

**** file that it does not conform to Adobe's published PDF

**** specification.

These files actually crash the pdf viewer that I usually use (atril), though the errors are silently ignored in acroread.

macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Nov 22, 2016 10:36 PM

22 replies

Dec 14, 2017 9:40 AM in response to camichal

I can also confirm that PDF generation on Sierra and later is not conforming to spec somehow. Acrobat's Preflight test for PDF syntax reports "Incorrect value type for this key" on all Mac PDFs. Ghostscript generates the error message listed above.
Other PDF generators do not produce the error.

Sierra also garbles metadata when you encrypt PDFs in Preview, though this seems to have been fixed in High Sierra.

Nov 23, 2016 3:29 PM in response to dialabrain

My goal here really was just to raise the alert that the pdf renderer in OS X 10.12 produces pdf files that do not conform to the pdf specification, and that that causes problems in some viewers. Its true that many (most?) pdf readers ignore those errors silently. It would be better if the renderer produced valid, conforming pdf.

Sierra produces corrupt pdf files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.