Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have new iPad Pro - will MS Office work on it?

Just got new IPad Pro, thought Office would work on it, any advice please. Also does not have a SIM card, not sure if needed - ?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Nov 23, 2016 7:52 AM

23 replies

Nov 23, 2016 8:42 AM in response to Community User

Microsoft makes a specific version of the Office applications for iOS devices. You can download Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook from the App Store App.

Word

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-word/id586447913?mt=8

Excel

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-excel/id586683407?mt=8

Powerpoint

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-powerpoint/id586449534?mt=8

Outlook

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-outlook-email-calendar/id951937596?mt= 8

You cannot install a Mac or Windows version of Microsoft Office on an iPad.

You will need an Office 365 subscription to access advanced features of the Apps. But you can use them without a 365 subscription to open and view documents.

A sim card is only needed if you require an internet connection when away from wifi. It is not required for normal operation of the iPad.

Nov 23, 2016 8:47 AM in response to ShagCA

Thanks, I had downloaded that app, but didn't think it was the full version, I use Word a lot, have tons of documents on my laptop, not wanting to rely on laptop. Microsoft website charges to buy Office when ordering the iPad from them, I bought mine from Amazon. Have heard from someone else with an iPad that Word did not work well. Any input on that? Thanks again for quick reply, this latest learning curve is so time consuming, have not figured out how to add more space on iCoud so I can transfer my photos and other stuff from my old small iPad to the new Pro large size with 256GB. If advice available would so much appreciate it. The manual info I found on Apple site so far does not cover much, am still searching.

Nov 23, 2016 8:54 AM in response to Community User

miikie2323 wrote:

Thanks, I had downloaded that app, but didn't think it was the full version, I use Word a lot, have tons of documents on my laptop, not wanting to rely on laptop. Microsoft website charges to buy Office when ordering the iPad from them, I bought mine from Amazon.

Yes, Office 365 is a paid subscription service. If you want to edit your documents on your iPad you will have to pay for it. Or convert all your documents to another format like Pages. Word for iPad is not as full featured as Word on a laptop or desktop as its designed for a mobile device rather than a computer so some features may not be available.

Microsoft does not sell iPads however. So not sure what that is about.

miikie2323 wrote:

Thanks again for quick reply, this latest learning curve is so time consuming, have not figured out how to add more space on iCoud so I can transfer my photos and other stuff from my old small iPad to the new Pro large size with 256GB. If advice available would so much appreciate it. The manual info I found on Apple site so far does not cover much, am still searching.

If you want to buy more iCloud storage you must do so from a device or iTunes on a computer:

iCloud storage upgrades and downgrades - Apple Support

You should however not need to do this, if all you want is to transfer content from your old iPad to the new one.

Transfer content from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Nov 23, 2016 9:26 AM in response to Community User

Is your iPad Pro the large one (12.9")? If that's correct, MS Office is not free. If you have the small iPad Pro (9.7"), MS Office is free. As far as feature differences between paid and free versions, I don't really know. I'm sure the free version features are limited.

http://www.macworld.com/article/3047152/ios/smaller-ipad-pro-can-use-microsoft-o ffice-for-free-while-larger-ipad-cant.html

Nov 23, 2016 9:29 AM in response to Community User

Thanks for the replies here, have to try all suggestions, as to Microsoft not selling iPads, think I mixed that up, had been considering a Surface Pro, must be where I saw the Office purchase. I need to slow-go this learning curve process. Appreciate the responses, will work on them slowly. I do want to transfer my docs, but also be able to create new ones which I do frequently. Not sure I'm clear on purchasing Office, do I need to buy it on laptop, not on iPad? Still have to learn how to do the multi tasking with two screens going, so much to learn, but liking this iPad, and the four speakers are great!

Nov 23, 2016 9:34 AM in response to ShagCA

Yes, it's the 12.9 version, did expect to pay for Office. had heard the free version is not complete, I write too much, with folders and such, need a complete version, did get the idea it was possible on this iPad Pro. Thanks for link, will check it out, but it says Mac in it, have to see what that's about.

Nov 23, 2016 9:42 AM in response to Community User

Note that if you work for an organization that pays Microsoft for corporate licensing or such (i.e., universities that have Campus Agreements signed with MS), the mobile coverage might fall under that licensing and thus be costless for you.

Also, if you have the latest Office versions on the computer (Mac or PC), your documents can be stored in in MS' cloud service, OneDrive and thus you'll have access to them no matter where you are: computer, mobile or even any old browser (web-based online Office).

Nov 23, 2016 10:00 AM in response to ShagCA

The Apps themselves are free regardless of device. The only difference is you need to subscribe to Office 365 if you want to edit documents on the larger 12" iPad. You can still open and view them on the 12" iPad, but cannot edit them without the subscription.

The smaller devices, 9" iPads, iPhones and iPod Touches can edit without a subscription.

Beyond that, as I said the features in the Apps for iOS may be different or limited in relation to the desktop versions.

Nov 23, 2016 10:16 AM in response to Phil0124

thanks, that helps, I def need to edit, so one big question answered for sure, what a helpful community.

Am an advanced old age gal, bought myself an early Christmas present to keep my spirits up, just had serious major surgery, facing nasty treatments in next few weeks, not on pain drugs so can concentrate on learning how to set up my gift to self. Helps to have a new project to concentrate on 🙂

Have new iPad Pro - will MS Office work on it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.