Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

local login problems

There are few similar threads, but none that seem to address our issue. After applying the latest security update I am not able to log in to the server locally using one of the local users. I am able to login using my account, which is LDAP and set up as admin.

The local server user shows up in the local domain and in accounts in system prefs. I made no changes to that user either in sys prefs or in workgroup manager. I am able to ssh in with that account (one of two accounts that has ssh enabled) so I know that the password is working. When I try to log in to the server login window locally it just does the rejection dance. On a whim I logged in using my account, which is set up as admin and it worked fine. I don't have a home folder set up so it created a "99" folder for me. Anyway, all our services work fine except that unfortunately we have a database server we need to run that is not a daemon so has to be run from a logged in account. I know that is not ideal, but that is the way it is.

I created a new admin account in accounts in sys prefs and I am not able to login with that account either. It was set to auto login to the original account and it "takes" when I reset that setting but doesn't complete on startup.

The only thing other than the security update that I did was to move three users that were set up (my mail admin and spam/ham users) from my LDAP domain to the local domain. In doing so I didn't touch my original local admin user though.

Any ideas? 10.4.8 on a MacPro. I have repaired permissions and booted off of an external and repaired the disk, which did have some minor header errors.

TIA

PowerBook G4 1.67, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Dec 18, 2006 9:44 AM

1 reply

Dec 18, 2006 10:12 AM in response to Austin Sloat

Okay, after digging around I discovered something interesting. One of the inherited groups that my account belonged to was com.apple.access_loginwindow I had to choose the "Show Inherited Groups" button for it to show up. For some reason the local admin account was not a member of that group. So, I added that local user to the access_loginwindow group and I was immediately able to login locally as before. I don't know if that is technically correct as I don't have another server to reference, but it does work.

local login problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.