Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2016 MacBook pro 15" defective keyboard

After a lot of waiting and refreshing the delivery tracking page, my 2016 MacBook Pro 15" (BTO with 2.9 GHz and 1TB SSD) arrived. And guess what - the keyboard is defective.

Yes, the "e" key is broken, meaning that it sometimes registers twice (depending on where you press on it exactly, ie. the lower right corner is worse). It's not dust or anything (it's a brand new machine after all). I tried wiggling, pressing hard, canned air, the usual stuff - no dice.

So there you go, a brand new machine which I spent a fortune on, with a broken key. I went to the Apple Store but they suggested I get it replaced by AppleCare, as they don't even have the spare parts to repair it yet.

I called AppleCare and the only thing they can do is have me send it back (as I'm within the 14 day period) and they'll send me a replacement unit after they get mine.

This "e" key issue is very variable. It's not really annoying when typing normally, although sometimes it will happen at random. Meaning that the machine is not *perfect* (and you'd expect it to be).

What would you guys do? Send it away to have it replaced? I'd be without a laptop for at least 2 weeks (they need to re-build a new BTO after all). Not fun.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Nov 23, 2016 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2017 6:33 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to merge all of these reports in a single thread in the hope that Apple will provide a response and a solution. I believe this is a macOS issue.

For more, go to:

MacBook Pro 2016 Random Key Repeat Keyboard Issue

12 replies

Jan 6, 2017 10:44 PM in response to ManuCH

In my case, it's thte "t" that repeats. Thtis began straight out of the box. I took it to the Apple genius bar, but tthe genius told me thtat when he listened closely (noisy store) I double press the "t". He tried it, himself, but he was a slow typist, and didn't have any problem witth thte "tt". I have asked friends to ttest itt, too, and they have the same problem thtat I do. (Nottice that sometimes an "h" is inserted before thte second "t".)

I've owned thte new computter for about six weeks, now, but due to Christmas travel, and disappointment in my new computter, I have delayed getting a new appointment until today. My appointment is for nextt week. I'm hoping thtat I won't have to get a new computter.

Also, I have a lagging or disappearing cursor sometimes. I have to hit thte keypad several times to get the cursor to reappear. I'm wondering if this is due to Sierra, rather than my computter. My old 2012 Macbook worked perfectly.

Jan 27, 2017 6:40 AM in response to truck_driver

This is a User-to-User forum. Apple makes no promise to read these posts, and Never responds here except to follow up on posts that are completely unanswered after several days.

Apple looks very hard at computers that are returned for any reason, and tabulates the reasons for the return and investigates when there appears to be a Trend. If there is in fact a Hardware problem, they will find it.

Problems of key/no-key and keys generating multiple codes from one press are so low level it is very unlikely that this is a software issue.

Jan 27, 2017 7:02 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I've noticed that when going to Settings -> Keyboard and modifying the "Key Repeat" and "Delay Until Repeat" sliders, things go very wrong. For example: after sliding "Key Repeat" to off, saving the setting and then returning the slider to previous position and saving again, "Key Repeat" remains off! That is you loose this functionality all together...

Feb 3, 2017 6:22 PM in response to ManuCH

I also had a new 15" MacBook Pro, with a defective keyboard (Tab and Delete) and it also failed power diagnostics at the store. The store replaced it with a 13" MacBook Pro (my choice), which I am typing this on. This is the first day I have it, and now I have had the "8" key stick on me a couple of times.

Do these new MacBook Pro keyboards have a design defect? This is frustrating. There's a lot of wasted time switching computers.

May 19, 2017 11:12 AM in response to ManuCH

I have the same issue. The 't' either doesn't type or it types several 't's at once. I've only had the new very expensive computer for a few days. So I called Apple Care, they told me to have a box sent to have it repaired or go to the nearest Apple Store. So After taking a 2 hour round trip to the Apple store. They told me that I has to be sent for repair (or) return it, get a refund, and then wait for another one to be shipped from China. As they didn't have a replacement for it at the store. So my brand new Computer is being repaired....not replaced as it isn't broken, its defective!!! I am not not not happy. Not at all. But now they should have figured out that there's a keyboard defect in many of them.

May 23, 2017 8:42 PM in response to ManuCH

I've (temporarily?) confirmed a hunch I had, that detritus of some sort was lodging beneath the key or interfering somehow with the butterfly mechanism. I have sometimes gotten the functionality of a 'bad' key back by blowing at the key (from my mouth, making sure it is dry air, as much as possible). Then my 'k' key (new 2017 MBP 15") started not to work if I hit the key closer to the lower right corner, and my 's' key began to feel different from the other keys and require more pressure to register.

I set my air compressor at about 80psi and directed a thin flow around the keys at various angles. Blowing straight down into the crack between the plastic key and the 'surround' through which the key protrudes seemed to work the best. Now the keys all perform as new. Machine seems fine in every other respect as well.

Sep 7, 2017 12:44 PM in response to ManuCH

Have just had this issue with my b key.

It started frequently typing 2 b's -- one when the key was pressed and another when released.

Apple support told me to clean the keyboard with compressed air and reset the SMC, which had no effect.

What did work in the end (for now at least) was wiggling the key around rapidly from side to side and up and down.

Nov 24, 2016 6:59 AM in response to ManuCH

Number 4 for me on 13" model. Sometimes registers twice, sometimes registers '4od' and other things. Hold it down and it will randomly repeat despite the keyboard not being set to repeat. Also have a defective trackpad, rattles and other things. Not a great showing at all. Returning for refund. Will reconsider my position in terms of buying another MacBook given what are clearly very profound lapses in quality control that should not happen on a machine that costs over £2,000.

2016 MacBook pro 15" defective keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.