Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

kernel_task writes terabytes of data

User uploaded file

My uptime is 20 days, kernel task has written 2.32 TBs of data. Isn't it bad for my SSD? How to fix it? Thank you

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Nov 23, 2016 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2016 3:47 AM

I found a solution for my case. I set up Spotlight to ignore my projects folder.

I am a web developer, and I have dozens of node_modules or bower_components folders which often have tens of thousands of files in them. After that the kernel_task disk usage lowered for 10-15 gigabytes a day.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2016 3:47 AM in response to kdsniper

I found a solution for my case. I set up Spotlight to ignore my projects folder.

I am a web developer, and I have dozens of node_modules or bower_components folders which often have tens of thousands of files in them. After that the kernel_task disk usage lowered for 10-15 gigabytes a day.

Nov 30, 2016 2:35 AM in response to John Galt

Why is this nothing to fix? I have the same problem and it's all happened since installing Sierra. My CPU is tuned up to full blast when I'm just on minimal programs- right now I'm running only Google Chrome and Activity Monitor(!) and battery has dropped 30% in 20mins. The "kernel_task" is the culprit and has written over 12 GB in just a few days of activity. 12 GB of WHAT? In my experience on my 2013 MacBook Air with 1.7gh and 8GB mem with 500GB hd and 156GB of free space- this should NOT be happening unless i'm rendering HD video or am stupidly running 15 programs at once. Apple has done it- yet again with an oversight of a crucial function- CPU processing consumption- and you, sorry John Galt- Level 9- say "There is nothing to fix"?? Perhaps you can offer an explanation with that short answer?

I'm ready to plug in the Time Machine and go back to the old OS till this gets sorted out. I don't have time to stay plugged into a charger while my CPU is caught in some bad loop.

I'd love some real support on this.

Regards.

kernel_task writes terabytes of data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.