Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Launchpad is re-typing everything into its search bar

I upgraded my 2012 MacBook Pro to macOS Sierra and every time I type something, the same thing shows up in my launchpad search bar. Is there a way I can get that to stop?

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.1), Launchpad

Posted on Nov 23, 2016 8:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2017 10:52 PM

It seems like this issue can come back every once and a while. The easiest way to reset the launchpad without resetting your computer is to issue a simple command in terminal.

1. Go to Finder -> Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

2. Simply type: killall Dock

3. Press enter

(make sure the Dock is capitalized)

McKay

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2017 10:52 PM in response to asfand2000

It seems like this issue can come back every once and a while. The easiest way to reset the launchpad without resetting your computer is to issue a simple command in terminal.

1. Go to Finder -> Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

2. Simply type: killall Dock

3. Press enter

(make sure the Dock is capitalized)

McKay

Nov 25, 2016 6:34 AM in response to asfand2000

Launchpad is a place to open applications, there is a search bar at the top, when you select an application to launch, the launchpad should disappear, you shouldn't still see the search bar.

Do you see the menu bar at the top of the screen when in Launchpad? Or after you select the app, because when launch pad opens the menu bar disappears, when you select the app the menu bar should come back and the launch pad should disappear.

I wonder if either

1. The launchpad is not closing correctly.

2. There is an accessibility option activated that is keeping it open for awhile.

You may want to read this to reset Launchpad ...

https://www.lifewire.com/fix-launchpad-problems-in-os-x-2259966

Launchpad is re-typing everything into its search bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.