Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GIMP & MacOS 10.12 Sierra

Which version of GIMP works well with MacOS 10.12 Sierra?

Current version is 2.8.18 but, I read that the last stable version that works with Sierra is 2.8.14.

https://www.gimp.org

Is GIMP blocked from installing due to being an unknown developer? That is what I get when try to open the dmg.

I thought the way around this black was to go to System Preferences/Security & Privacy/General Tab and change the setting from allow apps downloaded from App Store & identified developers to allow from anywhere.

http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/27/allow-apps-from-anywhere-macos-gatekeeper/

Requires enabling that 3rd choice using Terminal command.

If there is a different Apple Support community for GIMP, please tell me.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), macOS Sierra (10.12), 1 TB SSD, 24 GB RAM

Posted on Nov 23, 2016 10:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2017 3:25 AM

Select this orange download button for Gimp, not the green Torrent button:

User uploaded file

The very bottom icon in the Downloads folder icon next to your Trash icon in the Dock will be the downloaded GIMP installer: gimp-2.8.22-x86_64.dmg.

User uploaded file

Click this installer once. A new Finder window will appear with just the GIMP application icon.

User uploaded file

Open a new Finder window, and click Applications in the Favorites side panel. Now, drag and drop the GIMP application icon into the Applications folder. Find the GIMP 2.8.22 icon on your Desktop, right-click, and eject it.

In your Applications Folder, right-click/control-click/two-finger tap on the GIMP application icon, and choose Open from the secondary menu. The operating system will verify the application for known (by Apple) malware, and then you will receive a new dialog that "GIMP" is from an unidentified developer. Click the Open button on this dialog. At this point GIMP will be performing some internal house-keeping, including building its own font cache from your system. This can be a lengthy process. When it is done, it will pop the application window on screen, and you can begin to use it.

This whole last paragraph is because the application was not downloaded from the Mac Application Store, and would be the normal security process for applications obtained outside of the store. You only have to go through the above ritual once per application obtained in this manner, and subsequent GIMP invocations are a normal double-click, or single click if in the Dock, or from Launchpad.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2017 3:25 AM in response to growler62000

Select this orange download button for Gimp, not the green Torrent button:

User uploaded file

The very bottom icon in the Downloads folder icon next to your Trash icon in the Dock will be the downloaded GIMP installer: gimp-2.8.22-x86_64.dmg.

User uploaded file

Click this installer once. A new Finder window will appear with just the GIMP application icon.

User uploaded file

Open a new Finder window, and click Applications in the Favorites side panel. Now, drag and drop the GIMP application icon into the Applications folder. Find the GIMP 2.8.22 icon on your Desktop, right-click, and eject it.

In your Applications Folder, right-click/control-click/two-finger tap on the GIMP application icon, and choose Open from the secondary menu. The operating system will verify the application for known (by Apple) malware, and then you will receive a new dialog that "GIMP" is from an unidentified developer. Click the Open button on this dialog. At this point GIMP will be performing some internal house-keeping, including building its own font cache from your system. This can be a lengthy process. When it is done, it will pop the application window on screen, and you can begin to use it.

This whole last paragraph is because the application was not downloaded from the Mac Application Store, and would be the normal security process for applications obtained outside of the store. You only have to go through the above ritual once per application obtained in this manner, and subsequent GIMP invocations are a normal double-click, or single click if in the Dock, or from Launchpad.

Jul 15, 2017 11:13 PM in response to antoinetteS

Hi,

Go to gimp.org and look for downloads. You will get the choice of a torrent download or "download Gimp 2.8.22 directly." Choose the latter.

When you try to open it you will get a warning saying it is from an unidentified developer. Go to System Preferences / Security & Privacy and choose the option to "Open anyway."

By the way, you should not post your email address on public forums.

Nov 14, 2017 4:29 AM in response to growler62000

Since upgrading from El Capitan to High Sierra I've experienced many problems with Gimp that all seem related to extensions that use Script-fu. In almost every case script-fu will perform the operations specified then freeze. Only way to get back to using Gimp then is a force-quit of script-fu. But then of course, Gimp must be quit and restarted to regain use fo script-fu for any other process. Everything worked well on El Capitan, but these problems always occur on Sierra and High Sierra. I've tried all the latest versions of Gimp, including the ones that are said to be compatible with High Sierra.... But they're not! This problem with script-fu calls persists in all versions from Gimp 2.8.14 to Gimp 2.8.22 as well as the development version of Gimp 2.9.6.

This is driving me so crazy I'm about to go back to El Capitan! Does anyone know of a fix, a patch or a work-around to stop this behavior? I'm using Gimp on a mid-2010 MacBook 2.4gHz Core 2 Duo with 16 gb RAM and a 1TB hard drive. No problems with any other software, and Gimp worked perfectly until upgrading from El Capitan to High Sierra.

Thanks very much for any solutions!

Nov 17, 2017 4:48 PM in response to BobGaskins

Hi,

Just to share problems without any solution :-(

After High Sierra upgrade from Sierra on iMac 2017/10:

- Some problem with Gimp 2.8.14: script-fu perform the operations specified then freeze,

- Some problem with Photoshop CS5 : error popup when quit,

- Some problem with Audacity (last current version) : error popup when quit,

- Office 2011 not compliant,

- Some problem with internal speakers...

It's a pity...

Nov 17, 2017 5:20 PM in response to jpdeglet69

Eeeek!!!! Audacity, too??? ****! I've not used Audacity since switching to High Sierra, but I will be using it heavily again soon.

This past week I wiped the drive, reloaded El Capitan and then tried transferring files from my Time Machine backup. But... since that was made with High Sierra, it would not restore! Transferring 700 GB manually was too daunting and I was in too big a hurry, so I wiped the drive again, did a clean install of High Sierra and then migrated everything from Time Machine. Took about 8 hours to transfer, so if anyone plans to do this, start it when you go to bed for the night!

I then deleted Gimp and reinstalled Gimp 2.8.18. Surprisingly, Gimp works again with no script-fu crashes. I'm waiting for it to fail, though, so I'm trying to use it a lot this weekend. If it doesn't freeze, I'll stick with things the way they are now. If it does freeze, I'll start from scratch with El Capitan and take all next week to reload my files manually. Ugh!!!

I've also been seeing some strange behavior with Quicksilver, but that's not been consistent, so not sure if it's OS related.

I did set up a second partition on my drive specifically for El Capitan, but switching partitions is a PITA just to use one or two applications. I thought Apple had been around long enough to get it right (especially after the Lion debacle), but apparently not. 😟

Nov 24, 2016 1:15 AM in response to Cunnla

Do you use GIMP 2.8.18 in Sierra?

Rather than use Terminal to change the gatekeeper options so I can select “from anywhere.” I read comments such as:

“If you right click on the file, the open command will prompt you and then allow you to run unsigned apps without having to mess about with gatekeeper.

You only need to do that once - after that, the app will open normally with a double click”

GIMP & MacOS 10.12 Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.