Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help, want to change my actual network configuration from Airport Express to Time Capsule

Hi there, I got a brand new Time Capsule 3Tbs (ac) and want to migrate my actual Airport Express 2nd Generation (bridged) configuration to the new one, and manage it from my iMac (El Capitan) I have two WPS devices, one HP color laser printer (wi fi) and a Canon wi fi Dslr Camera. I wan t to set my Time Capsule as the primary or principal module and then set my Express as an extender.

Please help me.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), (27-inch Mid 2011)

Posted on Nov 24, 2016 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2016 6:57 AM

Connect an Ethernet cable from the LAN <--> port on the AirPort Express to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule

Power up the Time Capsule and let it run for a few minutes

Click the WiFi menu at the top of the Mac's screen

Click on Time Capsule under the listing of New AirPort Base Station

The example below shows an Airport Extreme as the new device, but you will see Time Capsule on your screen

User uploaded file

The setup "wizard" will open up and take a few seconds to take a look at things

Click the Other Options button

User uploaded file

Select the option to Replace an existing device

User uploaded file

Click Next and follow the prompts to set things up. This option will transfer all of the network settings and password(s) to the Time Capsule and reset the AirPort Express back to factory default settings.

When the operation is complete, power off the AirPort Express and Time Capsule, then connect the Time Capsule in place of the AirPort Express and power up the Time Capsule.

Log on to the wireless network to make sure that the Time Capsule is operating correctly, then post back on your progress and we will set up the AirPort Express.

We need to know whether the AirPort Express will connect to the Time Capsule using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection, or whether you plan to have the Airport Express connect to the Time Capsule wirelessly......since the setup is different depending on how the Express will connect.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2016 6:57 AM in response to Angel_V

Connect an Ethernet cable from the LAN <--> port on the AirPort Express to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule

Power up the Time Capsule and let it run for a few minutes

Click the WiFi menu at the top of the Mac's screen

Click on Time Capsule under the listing of New AirPort Base Station

The example below shows an Airport Extreme as the new device, but you will see Time Capsule on your screen

User uploaded file

The setup "wizard" will open up and take a few seconds to take a look at things

Click the Other Options button

User uploaded file

Select the option to Replace an existing device

User uploaded file

Click Next and follow the prompts to set things up. This option will transfer all of the network settings and password(s) to the Time Capsule and reset the AirPort Express back to factory default settings.

When the operation is complete, power off the AirPort Express and Time Capsule, then connect the Time Capsule in place of the AirPort Express and power up the Time Capsule.

Log on to the wireless network to make sure that the Time Capsule is operating correctly, then post back on your progress and we will set up the AirPort Express.

We need to know whether the AirPort Express will connect to the Time Capsule using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection, or whether you plan to have the Airport Express connect to the Time Capsule wirelessly......since the setup is different depending on how the Express will connect.

Nov 25, 2016 6:57 AM in response to Angel_V

Locate the AirPort Express about half way between the Time Capsule and the general area where you need more wireless signal coverage

Power up the Express and let it run a few minutes

Click the WiFi menu at the top of your Mac's screen

Click on AirPort Express under the listing of New AirPort Base Station

User uploaded file

That will get the setup "wizard" running and it will take a few seconds to display a screen that looks like this, except that you will see your devices pictured:

User uploaded file

Type in a short, simple name that you want to call the AirPort Express.....something like....Express....for example

Click Next

The 'wizard" will set up everything for you automatically. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done....and you are done.

Nov 25, 2016 1:00 PM in response to Angel_V

All that I can suggest at this point, is a "test". Connect a computer to the Time Capsule using an Ethernet cable and turn off the WiFi on the computer.

If the computer can connect, then you know that the Ethernet port is working on the Time Capsule. Try connecting to the Express, it should work as well.

Sorry, but I cannot help on the Blu-Ray player, and there are no settings in AirPort Utility that would allow it to connect. You will likely need to work with the support people for the Blu-Ray player.

Help, want to change my actual network configuration from Airport Express to Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.