Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel Panics

I've been having a ton of kernel panics lately after getting my MacBook Pro on Oct 3rd...

I have gotten them on 12/2, 12/3 (twice), 12/4 (3 times), 12/7, 12/13, 12/15, 12/17 (twice) and just now on 12/18.

It seems to be happening mostly when I'm in iPhoto and sometimes when the screensaver is running (showing photos from iphoto), but it's happened other times as well. I've got the firmware and software completely updated. Apple hardware tests show that everything is fine.

I have a feeling it's overheating but I'm not sure if that would cause a Kernel Panic. It doesn't always feel incredibly hot when it crashes.

Anyways, I'm just looking for a second opinion on what else might be causing this.

Thanks,

MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 Intel Core Duo, 1GB Ram, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Dec 18, 2006 11:24 AM

7 replies

Dec 18, 2006 12:43 PM in response to Jason Bennett

I had a similar prob. but linked it to coconut battery monitor, because the kernel panic happened within 15 min. of installation. When I removed it the problem went away. Check to see what programs you have installed since the problem started. Then remove them one at a time, until you discover the pgrm. that is causing the problem. Maybe a fresh reinstall is in order.

Dec 20, 2006 11:16 AM in response to Jason Bennett

Now it crashes when I do anything... Windows or OS X. I tried hooking it up to another mac and running permission repair and disk repair. I got an Invalid Node when it was checking the catalog file. I can access everything in single user mode and w/ target disk mode (I'm backing everything up now).

It passes Apple Hardware Tests.

I tried swapping memory w/ another macbook pro with no luck.

I went to do an archive and install and it crashes when trying to boot from the installer cd.

Anything else I can try, or do I have to bring this thing in to be repaired? I've grown so attached to the **** thing... argh.

Dec 20, 2006 2:34 PM in response to Jason Bennett

If you think heat is the problem then try downloading this little app....

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049

After having heat problems with my Macbook I downloaded this, increased the fan minimum speed and it cooled down enough for the OS not to freeze.
If your MacBooks CPU is at idle showing a temperature of 70 degrees C+ then have a look at this thread and check out my experiences.

Hope this helps and you get it sorted.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3738086#3738086

Jan 20, 2007 6:35 PM in response to Jason Bennett

Jason,
I noticed that you have installed Windows. I did as well and met the same fate: Finder disappearing, apps quiting on their own and pleny of other odd behavior.
Hardware test: passed, Disk repair: passed!
What to do?
Apple Care support strongly urged me to wipe clean the entire hard drive and reinstall. I did-both XP and Tiger. After this two-day ordeal, it didn't improve a thing-same ecentric behavior, including going to sleep and refusing to wake up, to freezing in the middle of a hardware test or restart.
This extremely diappointing development convinced me to evict Windows from my brand new MBP and start over.
I wiped the hard drive clean (7 times over-9 hours), eliminated the HD partition, and re-installed Tiger.
For most of the day everything has been going well, BUT, following a period of inactiveity, the same refusal to wake up from its nap got me really worried. I did a half hardware test and again, it froze up in the middle of the test.
But the OS runs great, but I can't help feeling that a nasty surprise in just aroung the corner.
I plan to do some serious investigating into this. I am really only a computer user, not too tech savvy, but I will pass along whatever I find out.
I hope you don't have to sacrifice using Windows on your machine. But I've made up my mind, no other OS's, especially ones that need a software package still in Beta and not reccomended by its publishers!
Please pass along your wisdom.

Powerbook G4 Mac OS X (10.4.7) 1.67 Ghz

Kernel Panics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.