Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP touch bar late 2016 crashes over and over with "MCA Error" "CATERR detected!"

Two brand new 15" MBPs, 2TB SSD, crash repeatedly with this error.

Crashes while trying to back up with many combinations of:

Seagate USB 3 4TB and Time Machine

WD My Passport Ultra 1TB USB 3 and Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner

CalDigit 2TB USB3.1/Thunderbolt with Carbon Copy Cloner

Via Apple USBC-USBA adapters, manufacturer provided USB-C to USB-C cables, or brand new Belkin USBC to USBC cable from Apple store.

Probably a dozen crashes now. EXTREMELY UPSET. Need to use these for business use. As of now, cannot back them up reliably. Waited years for new machines and now this.

Time Machine takes around 24 hours to complete initial backup on usb 3, and one took over 5 days and still did not complete encrypting.

Initially suspected externals and cables, but now so many crashes with so many different configs, it must be the Macs.

Tried Safe Boot, resetting SMC and NVRAM. Same results.

Initially set up by USBC-USBC Apple cable from perfectly functioning 2012 MBPs.

Posted on Nov 25, 2016 11:02 AM

5 replies

Feb 27, 2017 5:31 AM in response to David Lopez Menendez

Same thing except that I didn't have my dedicated backup media connected but two USB devices, an iLok2 and a 4GB USB memory stick. With the laptop's lid closed I connected the iLok. Then I opened the lid and connected the USB memory stick. At this time the machine froze, crashed and rebooted. After logging back in I was presented with the "MCA Error / CAT Error detected" in the crash report.

MBP touch bar late 2016 crashes over and over with "MCA Error" "CATERR detected!"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.