Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Watch is not tracking my steps

I have the same settings as my cousin but I have much less steps and we shopped together today. It's about 2500 steps different.

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Nov 25, 2016 4:56 PM

2 replies

Nov 25, 2016 4:59 PM in response to Pongo

Hi,

Try calibrating > Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

And make sure your iPhone is up to date in Settings > General > Software Update

And make sure your Watch is up to date. Open the Watch app on your iPhone then tap My Watch bottom left corner of the screen then tap General > Software Update.

Nov 25, 2016 5:50 PM in response to Pongo

Hi

Activity app estimations depend, in part, on your personal information. It may help to check that yours is accurate:

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Health > Edit.

During general daily wear (and when using the Workout app to record workouts when GPS data is either not relevant or not available), your Apple Watch tracks your arm motion, as measured by the built-in accelerometer, when estimating results including steps.

For the best results, allow the arm on which you are wearing your watch to swing naturally as you move around (and during workouts, where relevant).

Calibrating your watch can improve the accuracy of estimations made by Activity app and Workout app by teaching it how your arm movements relate to your stride lengths at different speeds. More information and instructions for calibrating your watch are available via the link below.

Be sure to calibrate for at least 20 minutes at each of the speeds at which you typically walk, run or jog (this does not have to be done, for any given speed, in one go - it can be spread across multiple workouts).

The article also includes instructions for resetting existing calibration data and starting afresh. Resetting your calibration data will not erase your Activity history.

If you have not yet done so, also be sure to update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

More information:

My Apple Watch is not tracking my steps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.