Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I forgot to update my iPhone and it shut off on me. Now the apple symbol is the only thing that pops up when I try to turn my phone back on. How can I fix it?

I have an iPhone 6 and I've had it for a year now, but back in May 2016, I forgot to update my iPhone and it shut off on me. Now the apple symbol is the only thing that pops up when I try to turn my phone back on. How can I fix this problem?

User uploaded file

Posted on Nov 25, 2016 9:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2016 8:22 AM

You can attempt to place the device into Recovery mode to attempt to update the software. This may preserve data.

The other way is placing the device into a mode called Device Firmware Update or DFU mode. This would erase all the data. If you have an iTunes or iCloud backup then you'd be ok to restore that information back to the device after the update is complete. DFU mode is not a "public" solution. You can perform a web search for that information.

Recovery Mode:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

If you cannot successfully update or restore the device, you may have better luck contacting support or locating your nearest Apple service provider by going to locate.apple.com

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2016 8:22 AM in response to Alekaj85

You can attempt to place the device into Recovery mode to attempt to update the software. This may preserve data.

The other way is placing the device into a mode called Device Firmware Update or DFU mode. This would erase all the data. If you have an iTunes or iCloud backup then you'd be ok to restore that information back to the device after the update is complete. DFU mode is not a "public" solution. You can perform a web search for that information.

Recovery Mode:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

If you cannot successfully update or restore the device, you may have better luck contacting support or locating your nearest Apple service provider by going to locate.apple.com

I forgot to update my iPhone and it shut off on me. Now the apple symbol is the only thing that pops up when I try to turn my phone back on. How can I fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.