Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target Disk Mode and USB-C

I have an old late 2011 Macbook Pro that died due to what looks like a logic board failure.

At any rate, my new Macbook Pro just arrived and I'd like to grab some files off the old machine using target disk mode.

I'm not sure what cables I'll need. I assumed I'd need something like Firewire to USB-C, but I'm not really finding them online. Maybe I can use Target Disk Mode with thunderbolt to USB-C?

I'm not sure if the old machine supports Target Disk Mode with thunderbolt. Or maybe I can chain adapters together? I've heard some people have difficulty getting that to work.

What's the best way to do this?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Nov 26, 2016 12:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2016 3:10 PM

Hi,

EDIT, I should have put this first: If your MBP cannot start in TDM, I believe the only thing you can do is put the HDD in an external enclosure: if it's USB, this adapter should work: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter, if it's FW, use those adapters, if it's Thunderbolt use that adapter.

Obviously the $9 USB-C to USB cable is the least expensive, so I'd try that route first; if you don't have USB external enclosures they're only $10-15, so I think that would be worth a try to get your data. Again, I haven't heard of anyone using this method yet, so I can't say if it will work for sure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------

First, see if your MBP will boot into Target Disk Mode by holding down the T key while booting. If you have a logic board failure, I don't think this is going to work.

If TDM doesn't work like this, it may by connecting the two Macs first, but that's another story.

I don't believe there is an adapter to go directly from USB-C to FireWire, as they are different protocols. I've never tried it nor heard about anybody trying it yet, so I have no idea if it will work, but an Apple support document says it should, and if it does, you're going to need two adapters, one from Thunderbolt 3/USB-C to Thunderbolt and the other from Thunderbolt to FireWire 800 (plus a FW cable). You shouldn't need to do it that way though, as your MBP has a Thunderbolt port on it. So all you should need is the T3/USB-C to T adapter (plus a Thunderbolt cable). The adapter is here: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2 -adapter (Note this is a special price until Dec. 31, 2016; I believe the regular price is $49.)

NOTE: Your Mac must be running macOS Sierra to work with the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2016 3:10 PM in response to mvalentino74

Hi,

EDIT, I should have put this first: If your MBP cannot start in TDM, I believe the only thing you can do is put the HDD in an external enclosure: if it's USB, this adapter should work: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter, if it's FW, use those adapters, if it's Thunderbolt use that adapter.

Obviously the $9 USB-C to USB cable is the least expensive, so I'd try that route first; if you don't have USB external enclosures they're only $10-15, so I think that would be worth a try to get your data. Again, I haven't heard of anyone using this method yet, so I can't say if it will work for sure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------

First, see if your MBP will boot into Target Disk Mode by holding down the T key while booting. If you have a logic board failure, I don't think this is going to work.

If TDM doesn't work like this, it may by connecting the two Macs first, but that's another story.

I don't believe there is an adapter to go directly from USB-C to FireWire, as they are different protocols. I've never tried it nor heard about anybody trying it yet, so I have no idea if it will work, but an Apple support document says it should, and if it does, you're going to need two adapters, one from Thunderbolt 3/USB-C to Thunderbolt and the other from Thunderbolt to FireWire 800 (plus a FW cable). You shouldn't need to do it that way though, as your MBP has a Thunderbolt port on it. So all you should need is the T3/USB-C to T adapter (plus a Thunderbolt cable). The adapter is here: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2 -adapter (Note this is a special price until Dec. 31, 2016; I believe the regular price is $49.)

NOTE: Your Mac must be running macOS Sierra to work with the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter.

Nov 28, 2016 12:49 AM in response to tjk

I just tried to start it in target disk mode, and it appeared to work. At least, the screen with the thunderbolt and firewire icons came up. Though, I suppose that's no guarantee the drive is actually accessible.

It looks like the cheaper solution will be to just remove the drive and put it in an enclosure with the older USB ports. Especially since I already have a USB to USB-C adapter.

Target Disk Mode and USB-C

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.